Opinions on these cams?

Johnny_C

Lifer
Hello All
Spotted these on ebay being sold by speedvision.
can anyone give me any feedback on them?
i remember there was some sort of issue with them,but was it resolved.
any input would be great,thanks.

Phil

Super Moderator
i think the original issue which was regarding the alignment of the exhaust lobe was sorted. (sam@speedvision can correct this if im mistaken)

the more serious issue was that my engine 4 or 5 owners on has had the cams disintrgrate somewhat. prob best to ask Martin Broom just what was found when the engine was opened but i think serious pitting was noted.

Phil

Anglas

Member +
This cams are not top of quality and not direct fit. I have an older cams model (265, 8mm). Before installing them, I had to treat them. Had problems with oem pinion installation.

But if you choose the right springs (base pressure, avoid coil bind), adjust the valve clearance, use adjustable camshaft pulley and find the right position between the intake and exhaust cams, then everything will be fine :)

The installation will cost more than these cams.

Last edited:

H_D

Member +
If im not mistaken tuning development are working on same cams you might be better off waiting for them rather than taking any risks.

AdamB

Member +
I believe Crower had nothing to do with the manufacturing of the cams themselves, I thought Crower just done a little machine work to rectify the allignment issues.

Ivan Tighe cams are still available with a whole host of specs to choose from. I'm not sure what kind of specs Tuning Developments will be offering.

weeJohn

Lifer
Send them an email asking for the cams specs for the 4EFTE engine.

I was looking at the settings on my engine compared to the details below for a set of 5efhe cams, to be honest, they are not even close to what are listed, have you ever looked at the standard 4efte cams and if they are close to what is listed here?

Engine20comparison.gif

AdamB

Member +
Are you running the 5efhe cams then John? In what way are they not close? Is the opening/closing times wrong?

I haven't checked the 4e cams with whats listed above to be honest mate.

weeJohn

Lifer
Are you running the 5efhe cams then John? In what way are they not close? Is the opening/closing times wrong?

I haven't checked the 4e cams with whats listed above to be honest mate.

Yes 5efhe cams, I can measure the higher lift so convinced they are 5efhe. I cant find the piece of paper I was taking notes on just now, but from memory one of the cams was nearly 20 degrees (on the crank) out from where the center line should have been for these specs when the other was close. Double and triple checked the gear was lined up correctly, started to doubt myself and walked away from it for a rethink.

I checked the teeth on the variable cam pulley I have was lined up the same as the stock pulley and all seemed to be ok. Its possibly bad specs but they were the only ones I could find and they seem plausible, although there is very little overlap.

Has anyone got the center line/opening and closing specs for a set of aftermarket cams they bought maybe from the likes of ITE?

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Not really any different specs to what's listed in the table above. Who has bought cams and got timing specs with them, anyone know?

AdamB

Member +
Think I've got some Ivan specs somewhere mate, give me 2 mins to dig them out. I'll go for something close to whats listed above.

Intake :
232 Duration
Open - 6.94 BTDC
Close - 45.47 ABDC
Lift @ TDC - 0.0621 Inches
Centreline - 112 ATDC

Exhaust :
225 Duration
Open - 51.58 BBDC
Close - 5.76 BTDC
Lift @ TDC - 0.0322 Inches
Centreline - 116 BTDC

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
They are still not far off the stock specs so I am going to have to work at it a bit more, thanks Adam, repped.

AdamB

Member +
They are not too far off, but I suspect with the Ivan cams, they would have a much greater overlap period, without actually drawing it up its hard to tell though. Because the Ivan's have a greater lift (8.9mm Inlet, 8.9mm Exhaust) to get the extra lift working efficiently the powerband would be further up the rev range.

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
The lobes may well lift the valves faster than the stock profile lobes, giving a greater opening for a longer period through out the lift angle. Interesting to see they are pushing the opening period further back in the crank cycle than the stock cams, those are even closing the exhaust valve before the intake stroke begins.