problem getting a cv joint on

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
So... The wee circular clip that sits on the driveshaft is slightly out of shape, makingit a headache to get the CV joint on. I think I have finally got it on but I'm wondering how far the shaft goes into the joint? I can still see about 1cm of spines on the shaft, is that right?

Jay

Admin
Bigger hammer, needs to be right up to pretty much the end of the splines mate. You can gauge how well it's on when putting the hub nut on, just compare how tight the nut goes to the other side.

If the CV joint isn't in 100% home you can shear the end of it off rendering the car immobile and the shaft useless. Needless to say I've got the T-shirt lol.

Jay

weeJohn

Lifer
You shouldnt see any of the splines if its in right. Take the snap ring off and see if it goes in better as a test. You can beat the ring back into a better shape round a piece of pipe or the like, and trying to install it with the open end down always helps I find.

triple j

Member +
put cv joint in the vice, and tap the shaft down in to it, that way u can get someone else to centre up the snap ring with a screwdriver and one last tap of the hammer should put it on the rest of the way.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
thanks guys I will take another look, as I have fitted a new CV Joint, wheel bearing, ball joint and hub, all brand new and still getting a VERY loud humming noise when driving. Its maybe something to do with the shaft not being 100% in the joint. This is a turning into a real ball ache lol