Re-sealing Oil Sump After Removal...

Stulet-GTT

Member +
My sump is leaking and i wanna drop it down give it a good clean an re-fit...

I have been looking at getting a sump gasket but have been told a sealer is better...

Never done it befor so am little stuck on whice is best...

So question is...If you where doing yours what would you use???

If you were to use sealer which one???

If you were to use gasket which one???

Paul_JJ

Member +
There isnt a gasket for the sump.

I use Loctite Blacktite on mine, can be had from any motor factors etc

I was on about a silicone one -) it's called Sili Gasket 2

I would never use halfrauds stuff on my car...

Yeah by the way - there is a proper gasket for a starlet - but it's hard to find one in the UK. they sell them for the Paseo in the USA and they do fit our engines. Cost a lot though.

Rory

Lifer
Loctite isnt a halfrauds brand? :confused: Why wont you use halfrauds stuff on your car? its almost garanteed it was manufactured in the same factory as another high end brand.

Our engines were never released from the factory with a gasket ;) Only a silicon gasket.
Mabey the Paseos come with them Starlets certainly dont.

I was on about a silicone one -) it's called Sili Gasket 2

I would never use halfrauds stuff on my car...

Yeah by the way - there is a proper gasket for a starlet - but it's hard to find one in the UK. they sell them for the Paseo in the USA and they do fit our engines. Cost a lot though.

Loctite isnt a halfrauds brand? :confused: Why wont you use halfrauds stuff on your car? its almost garanteed it was manufactured in the same factory as another high end brand.

Our engines were never released from the factory with a gasket ;) Only a silicon gasket.
Mabey the Paseos come with them Starlets certainly dont.

x2

Paul_JJ

Member +
Well Halfrauds normally not cheap and sell cheap stuff. SO I try to stay from them unless I need something ASAP or temporarily.

I'm pretty sure that KENT made sili Gasket is one of the best gaskets available - I put it on my exhaust pipe below the turbo and it does the job -))))

I wish they had something like 2000+ C sili gasket for sale so I could use it on the manifold.

morpheus

Member +
a little advice..after sealing the sump,leave it to dry for about 24hrs,otherwise it will leak on both sides where the curves are...this happens to me twice...(whatever sealant you use)

dac69er

Super Moderator
24 hours is a bit extreme. i left my girlfriends sump for about 2-4 hours and it has been spot on since.

the main thing is not to drive it straight away after sealing it. best bet would be to seal it up in the evening and by the morning it should be good to go.

dark_knight

Member +
i'd say, the length of time it needs to dry/bead depends on how thick you layer the sealant. i layered mine on a bit thick and had to let it settle for quite a few hours.. :|
don't have any leaks (yet!) but again, i haven't been down there to check in a couple of months so i guess i'm good.. :D

A L 3 X

Member +
Sorry to bump the topic, but if I was to seal my sump with the loctite stuff from halfords as posted above, how quickly can I refill the oil?
I don't mind not driving the car but ideally wanna refill the oil so its ready for next time I do use it lol.