Rebuilt bottom end

jam

Member +
Hi guys, Today is the worst day of my life just rebuilt my engine completely forge with new wiseco piston scat rods,arp bolts on crank,rods,and head,acl bearing and oil pressure valve has been modified.After a smooth driving of 1500 km distance I decided to map the car.When I rev hard at 7500 rpm I heard a loud noise coming from the engine and it cut off.I start the car again I feel the start is heavy and loud noise from the botom. Does anyone know what the main cause of this issue. in my opinion my rods bearing are fuck hope its doesn`t affect the crank shaft.Any idea.Please

TheStarletGT

Member +
So you drove the car mapless for 1500kms. You drove on an untuned ecu or something? If your engine has a major bottom end issue after a major high performance rebuild, looks like it wasnt done the best as it should be.

TurboDave

Member +
So you drove the car mapless for 1500kms. You drove on an untuned ecu or something? If your engine has a major bottom end issue after a major high performance rebuild, looks like it wasnt done the best as it should be.

Unmapped probably because he was doing the traditional run in which is also my preference.

jam

Member +

Hi,Thanks for your reply. yes I drove the car mapless but I drive it smoothly I rev only below Rpm4000 and off boost I suppose my oil pump has let me down any idea and advice are welcome. I need to put an oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil. what the oil pressure should be on a highly rev engine?Thanks

jpecc

Fresh Recruit
sad thing to happen.. check your oil pressure mate i did increase its pressure a bit (oil pressure regulator) cause it did happen to mine also..

much horsepower and high rev must pay attn.. to your oil pressure .. easy trick is modifiying oil regulator....

if you do this..you might check also you oil feed line to your turbo ; increased pressure might go past turbo seals try to crimp the line to limit oil pressure to turbo... :)

Last edited:

jam

Member +
Hi,Thanks for your reply Jpecc I did increase my oil pressure,I put 2 washers just under the oil pressure valve circlip to push the spring further down but am not sure its the correct way of doing this can anyone please confirm how we shim the oil valve regulator please.Thanks

thefalls

Member +
Best thing in my opinion is to have a an oil pressure/temp gauge.
Its a painful thing to rebuild all the time,monitoring is very important.
Most of the times i see people with lack of oil pressure with failed engines!

As in your case,if the car is not drivable,first thing is to drop the sump.
If you find metal particles then its bad news.
Were proper torque settings used?

jam

Member +
Best thing in my opinion is to have a an oil pressure/temp gauge.
Its a painful thing to rebuild all the time,monitoring is very important.
Most of the times i see people with lack of oil pressure with failed engines!

As in your case,if the car is not drivable,first thing is to drop the sump.
If you find metal particles then its bad news.
Were proper torque settings used?

Hi,Thanks for your reply proper torque setting are used on arp bolts it was set 45 ft lbs and when finish I turn the crank manually its spinning great without struggling I run my car approx 600 km off bosst without a single noise but when time to rev hard its fuck.

jam

Member +
Yea did drop the sump but bad news as I expected 3rd rods is dark in colour and conrod bearing crush and flat in the border damaging the crank now I have to regrind the crankshaft but am going to change to another crank just to be sure it doesn`t fail again and for peace of mind. My problem is I cant get ACL bearing all out of stock and I have the king one instead any feedback on these bearing.Thanks

thefalls

Member +
Good feedback so far on the kings bearing. Looks like your problem was lack of oil,most probably lack of oil pressure.
Make sure to change the oil pump also this time. And do a proper running in,i see people are so scared to run in a low comp engine,at the end of the day if its made to correct tolerances then running in should be fine.

Dont pamper it when running in,give it some boost.When you finish rebuilding,pm me and will fill you in.
Hope this helps.

jam

Member +
Good feedback so far on the kings bearing. Looks like your problem was lack of oil,most probably lack of oil pressure.
Make sure to change the oil pump also this time. And do a proper running in,i see people are so scared to run in a low comp engine,at the end of the day if its made to correct tolerances then running in should be fine.

Dont pamper it when running in,give it some boost.When you finish rebuilding,pm me and will fill you in.
Hope this helps.

Hi,mate thanks for your reply. I have heard when installing new bearing you should the rev below rpm 3000 for around 500km just to let the bearing bed in well.

thefalls

Member +
Well this time you wont need to break in the engine for long as you are not changing the piston rings,they must have bedded in.
How many kms did this engine cover so far?