RPM Signal wire? Where?

Tobz91

Member +
Hi, I am curently attempting to fit a bride RPM gauge it's got 4 wire red, black orange I beleive these all to be lighting and power source. Green is for rpm usually according to what I have found on t'internet. Sooo! Anyone know which wire behind the instrument cluster/clocks I can splice for an RPM reading please?

Thanks!

yiph

Member +
Im having same problem.

I located a wire behind the dash, its brown and I've measured it with a multimeter. It shows readings of 1.2-1.3V idle, and moves up when I rev the engine. Max probably 2V.

Would this be? Because I hooked up on the cluster and didnt work. I've read somewhere saying the tacho needs power too.

It is a Glanza dash cluster, car has EP82 engine and ECU.

Thanks.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Im having same problem.

I located a wire behind the dash, its brown and I've measured it with a multimeter. It shows readings of 1.2-1.3V idle, and moves up when I rev the engine. Max probably 2V.

Would this be? Because I hooked up on the cluster and didnt work. I've read somewhere saying the tacho needs power too.

It is a Glanza dash cluster, car has EP82 engine and ECU.

Thanks.

wire it directly into the ecu. LINK

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Thanks!

Just making sure:

So one straight wire from ECU Pin#21 to -IG input of the cluster and pinch an Earth wire from the cluster.

All needed is 2 wires and no extra power line is needed?

what does the cluster got to do with the "bride" tacho??

you need positive and negative for the tacho and a wire from pin21 to the tacho rpm signal.

yiph

Member +
what does the cluster got to do with the "bride" tacho??
Sorry I made my point wrong, I'm saying for swapping a normal starlet cluster with a Glanza cluster. Not a bride tacho.

you need positive and negative for the tacho and a wire from pin21 to the tacho rpm signal.

This is the diagram I followed for the wiring:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wvkleef/klokkenset glanza.pdf

This is a photo on the back of the cluster:

Following the "+" mark (1st screw terminal from the left), it goes to PIN#10 of Plug B in the diagram, which says IG+, ABS, Fuel Light.

Do I still need a power signal for it? So I just patch a wire from pin#21 of the ECU to IG- of the cluster. And hook up the Earth wire as well.

I haven't done the straight patching from ECU to tacho. However, I tried one signal wire and earth voltage, it reads 1.2V at idle and increased to about 1.8 or 2.0V when rev'ing up. It didn't work, the tacho stayed at 0.

yiph

Member +
I did a test with my multimeter as follows:

+ to E test: +12.56V when key turned to 2nd notch (ACC), +14.2V when ignition switched on.

E to ground wire in another plug, 0V as expected, so they are same grounding.

Now, I hook IG- to the wire I thought it would be the rpm signal, no joy.

Then I hook IG- DIRECTLY into the ECU PIN#21 (NE) for rpm signal, no joy either!

I'm running out of clue. What are the chances that I bought a busted cluster?