Something Awful happened to me last night...

DriveR

Member +
Hi Guys,

Many of you probably won't know me, but I used to post on the old sites a lot. Well, I bought my GT in '03 and have been enjoying every moment of GT ownership since that day I drove her home, but alas, this has now come to an end.

I've only moved to this area recently, so not too familiar with certain things. I parked in this 2 storey car park I park in everyday, however i've never used it before in the evening, until yesterday. I literally just parked up popped in blockbusters to get a dvd, then came back to the car, hopped in, turned down the exit ramp as usual started braking before i turned left out of the building, as I do that WHAAAAAAAAAAAAM my whole windscreen smashes all over me and the roof comes down in front of my face which i end up headbutting hard enough to snap my teeth shut pretty awkwardly. I was covered in fine fragments of glass which stuck in my skin and i couldn't open the door to get out, so was trapped in.

What the @#£$ had happened???? Well, the car park people lock the car park up it seems, but there were no signs to tell me that, and I had driven down the exit ramp as normal but not seen a yellow iron bar going across the entrance and exit in one, at my windscreen and head height. Drove straight into the damn thing! I feel so stupid, and got so angry with myself that I didn't notice it, but coming down from above it, and seeing as I use that car park everyday during the day I guess i was on autopilot to some degree, it was just routine. Some people in the area talked about it being the car parks fault, although I am disgusted I didn't notice the bar. But to be fair, in my experience with multi-storey car parks, it is common place if you are shutting an entrance/exit, you place the bar at the beginning of the ramp, so that drivers may not enter, not at the base of a 1 storey ramp.

Man I'm so gutted, I've never hit a car into anything in 10 years of driving, I'm so annoyed. But as they've said I was bloody lucky I didn't lose my head, if I had of been speeding i could of been decapitated. The starlet I feel though protected me and creased and smashed in a way to totally save my head area of the cabin, I'll get some pictures up as soon as i can, althoughI don't have any yet.

I'm getting her delivered to my house sometime this afternoon, shit it's gonna break my heart to see her like that....DAMMMMMN!!!! How could this happen!!! I didn't even have the radio in the car, hadn't been drinking, wasn't distracted, i just don't understand it...So gutted guys.:(

I was only third party, fire n theft...so I guess that's it for me financially, I can either break her, or sell her in one piece. The windscreen, front portion of roof, tops of doors were all hit pretty hard, I guess it's safe to say there's no point repairing that. The lower half of the car is in perfect health though i guess. I had quite a few goodies on there, and goodies waiting to go on too so I think what I'll probably do is end up breaking her depending on what demand is like though.

Shit man, I'm still in disbelief that this has happened. Lost another one of my nine lives by the looks of things, wonder how many that leaves me with now?!

Cheers,

Rob

sx_turbo

Lifer
can you not buy another one and swap the bits over?

i know its a pain, and probably to much to buy another one

p2d

Member +
I hate multistory car parks, i smashed my rear quater in one.

Glad you're okay tho.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
shit man thats really unlucky!!

would be so pissed off :(

its always the way something like that just creeps outa nowhere!

but yeah your lucky it didnt cut your head off that wouldnt of been so good aye!

you should definately strip it mate, can easily earn 1,500 / 2k from all the parts!

that and a bit of saving should be enough to get you another one.

really sorry to hear about it but hey atleast your alright!

DriveR

Member +
Thanks a lot for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate it. I don't think I could afford another one at the moment, but maybe after I've stripped this one...then I'd have to buy back all the parts to mod it again at some point :( Think I'm gonna cut my losses and just get an average car for the time being just to potter about in. Still in disbelief, you're rioght, something like this comes clean out of nowhere.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Elaine

Lifer
Awww this is so sad, I realy hope your ok!!!

Can you clame of your insurance for this sort of thing???

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Sorry to hear it dude

Another option you could look into is to buy a shell of a UK starlet or GT and take all of the bits off of the damaged one and make a whole new car for yourself

irishboy

Fresh Recruit
Thanks a lot for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate it. I don't think I could afford another one at the moment, but maybe after I've stripped this one...then I'd have to buy back all the parts to mod it again at some point :( Think I'm gonna cut my losses and just get an average car for the time being just to potter about in. Still in disbelief, you're rioght, something like this comes clean out of nowhere.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Y dont u just get an old starlet for a few ton and swap every thin around .ie engine bodyparts itll look more or less t same an u hav t pleasure of building ur own car ...:flame:

DriveR

Member +
Nah tempting how it is to get/build another starship, I think I'll be getting something bigger as I have some moving to do soon, and probably a lot of long journeys. So, there's gonna parts up for grabs soon...I guess I'll have to do a For Sale thread.

Toplap

Lifer
Accidents happen mate, dont be too hard on yourself. Be glad you didnt harm anyone and really glad that thing didnt take your head off! Like everyone else says i think you should either try and find another shell or break it.

dan

Member +
gutted mate, least your ok tho.

Reading that and when you said about the windscreen and roof going in i thought you was gunna say someone had jumped off the car park :S

Guye

Lifer
gutted mate, least your ok tho.

Reading that and when you said about the windscreen and roof going in i thought you was gunna say someone had jumped off the car park :S

My thoughts also. I thought maybe some fool dropped something/someone onto your car. I'm glad you or anyone else wasn't hurt.