Starlet Clock RTC

Calum122

Member +
Since I don't drive my car, it never has any juice.

The thing that bothers me about most cars is when the dash clocks are wrong, I know it's an OCD thing.

A long time ago, I built a media center for the car. Sega Genesis, Playstation one, Game Boy, all the retro stuff with FM, Sat Nav and a tons of tracks. I used a Raspberry Pi to do all this, it's pretty easy if you know how.

I was using the GPS module to set the time on the computer, it's a nice to have, but it would never match up with the dash clock.

I spent a bit of time having a look at that today when I bought this off a member a little while ago.

1519329104261-img_20180222_191521-resized.jpg

1519329115424-img_20180222_191548-resized.jpg

It's the dash clock from an EP82. I wanted to know if I could sync the time up with the Raspberry Pi... here is the result.

Sorry video was dark, here it was earlier when I prototyped it

1520182055731-starletrtc-resized.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
Now that is pretty cool - like that a lot!

I leave at least one thing not right on my cars and it's usually the dash clock.

Calum122

Member +
Now that is pretty cool - like that a lot!

I leave at least one thing not right on my cars and it's usually the dash clock.

Will it ever get fitted to the car...I don't know. But it's nice little side project whilst I fix all the other stuff that's broken in it.

I like how simple and modular the clock was though, at least it's easy to hack.

SKINY

Lifer
That's class bud :cool: a mate built a mini pc with double din touchscreen into his GT-FOUR, it's something else and makes high power desktops looks stupid lol.
It all baffles me but it's class, will hoke out the link for the thread but I fear photofuckit hash it ruined :rolleyes:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i assume you fitted a new display as the original is a 7 segment jobby?

is this running off a rasberry pi or have your coded a custom chip (or chipset) to run the display?

Calum122

Member +
i assume you fitted a new display as the original is a 7 segment jobby?

is this running off a rasberry pi or have your coded a custom chip (or chipset) to run the display?

Yes it's an OLED display (Similar to the ones you get in a FitBit. No, it's running off a Arduino Nano as the brain, the OLED display has its built in driver to do all the really low level stuff. Ultimately, to get the time, you need something capable of RTC. I'm using a GPS device plugged into a Raspberry Pi, however no reason why you couldn't go directly from the GPS device yourself. I might actually look into that anyway but since I use my Pi for OpenSource Maps, then I might as well use the Pi for that purpose.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GY-...MI2oCr45zd2QIVxxUYCh2CZQpXEAQYASABEgLupfD_BwE