Starlet/Glanza track cars??

Johnny_C

Lifer
Been thinking of building a budget ep91 track car,or possibly transforming my own to track spec,as its close to it anyway.
Anyone have a dedicated ep as a track car?
Looking some feedback as to what one would be like.
Cheers

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
had one that I had initially used on the track over here, but with a change to get another ep on the road, I sold it on. Good wee car for the track to be fair, due to the cost of it, I only ever had the chance to run on budget road tyres and almost stock suspension, I was very surprised that it handled quite well. Only after a good few hard laps did the tyres start to lose their grip due to the heat.

A BIG must is a brake upgrade, stock brakes really arent up to the job. I managed to completely melt a brake pad, pushing the caliper piston right through the pad.

The first upgrades I would be looking at are definitely some decent rubber, and bigger brakes, along with front and rear ARBs. This is where the wee cars loose out on the track. After that, more power would be the next thing.

weeJohn

Lifer
Anything other than a CT9 at stock boost will overheat at Kirkiston where there is a load of full throttle action, unless you want to upgrade rads, add a front mount and add oil coolers, brakes will need done as well. Something n/a works best in our experience Johnny, thats why we have the MR2 at the minute and its surprisingly good.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Anything other than a CT9 at stock boost will overheat at Kirkiston where there is a load of full throttle action, unless you want to upgrade rads, add a front mount and add oil coolers, brakes will need done as well. Something n/a works best in our experience Johnny, thats why we have the MR2 at the minute and its surprisingly good.
to be honest,i was going to buy a 306 gti or 106 gti/saxo vts,but would prefer a starlet.
have you been round mondello in it john?
i would be uprateing brakes,cooling and suspension automatically.
my main question was/is power,and it seems 1 bar on a ct9 is enough for most tracks in ireland i guess.
so that rules out my own car,so might invest in another!

weeJohn

Lifer
Never been to Mondello but I have spoke to a good few at Kirkiston who have. the Elise boys love Mondello as the circuit is more technical and they dont have the power of other cars. It may well suit a Starlet well, but its a lot more expensive to use.

Arnold

Lifer
I managed to destroy a set of EBC Grooved disks with yellow pads after 15 minutes round Donington, and standard ones wouldn't have even lasted that long, so good brakes are a must

Johnny_C

Lifer
Never been to Mondello but I have spoke to a good few at Kirkiston who have. the Elise boys love Mondello as the circuit is more technical and they dont have the power of other cars. It may well suit a Starlet well, but its a lot more expensive to use.
yeah but with group days im sure its not to bad.
company i work for here in australia sponser a track,so wish i had a decent toy here to take to it!

I managed to destroy a set of EBC Grooved disks with yellow pads after 15 minutes round Donington, and standard ones wouldn't have even lasted that long, so good brakes are a must
yeah brakes and suspension,and cooling would be top of the list.
brakes,for somthing decent would be the most expensive,so something custom would be the way foward.

Jay

Admin
Realistically there are far better choices of track cars Johnny, especially how much you can buy for your dollar nowadays.

Yet the Trackstar was the most entertaining project I ever did, would do it again in a heartbeat!

weeJohn

Lifer
Even though I nearly choke when I say it and it hurts my whole body to type it, Civics are a good choice.

Fuck that hurt.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Even though I nearly choke when I say it and it hurts my whole body to type it, Civics are a good choice.

Fuck that hurt.
im eyeing up a 2.2 prelude out here,its going cheap,and id strip it to shit anyway,so i might splash out to track it.fed up with wasting my money on road cars!

weeJohn

Lifer
SpudEP91 and his mate bought one to track, goes well but the brakes need a little attention lol. They managed to heat the front pad back plate so much the piston went right through it! Fire him a PM as they bought 2 and had spare parts.

Iv had my std brakes so hot the valve caps melted off and so did my centre caps :)
That was drilled and groved discs with yellow stuff pads

Rory

Lifer
Ive run my EX GT as a sprint / trackday car for the last few years. Biggest issue is heat, especially if your running a stock CT9 hair drtyer. If you want a reliable trackday car then look at N/A. Razz the nuts of them and no need to worry about heat or it braking.

Pete EP82

Member +
Ive run my EX GT as a sprint / trackday car for the last few years. Biggest issue is heat, especially if your running a stock CT9 hair drtyer. If you want a reliable trackday car then look at N/A. Razz the nuts of them and no need to worry about heat or it braking.

...LIKE BUTTON PLEASE...

Starlets can be fantastic little track card provided there built/setup properly. You don't really need any more than 210bhp to keep into
most other cars on track provided the engine can breathe and cool extremely efficiently. I'm a Starlet man but fact is 8/10 times N/A
is the far easier option for tracking.

George611

Member +
x3 N/A has alot less issues to worry about....but you can get so much out of a turbo it makes things more interesting especially how you drive it on track.

I enjoy mine on track a little too much i get carried away and stay out til the tyres start to blister lol

x3 N/A has alot less issues to worry about....but you can get so much out of a turbo it makes things more interesting especially how you drive it on track.

I enjoy mine on track a little too much i get carried away and stay out til the tyres start to blister lol

Yes but once u ask for more from ur turbo it makes more heat
Then before u no it uv cooked ur oil, water and brakes and u fuck the lot !
Na all the way

Ted

Member +
Think compared to the way a civic or integra goes round corners on the limit a starlet is crude and too easy to lose the back end. And that's with coilovers and slick tyres . However a td04 equipped one at a bar can slay some proper big stuff even if you are untidy in the corners. Mr2 mr2 na better option and would teach you how to really drive