steering wheel problems

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Basically I don't know where to start, I need the horn working in a weeks time. Its a 96 car with a 98 steering wheel. Horn doesn't work, neither does the self cancelling on the indicators and the airbag isn't connected, yet the airbag light doesn't come on, even when turning on the ignition at the start, when the other lights on the dash come on. I can't see how the horn works on these things. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

weeJohn

Lifer
The horn and the indicators are to do with the mechanism that is part of the steering column not matching the steering wheel. There is a brass ring that a pin on the steering wheel sits against to complete the horn circuit. You could use a button to operated the horn separately but it wont help the indicators. As for the airbags, some 96 cars didnt have an SRS ecu, so no lights come on ever, if there was no yellow plug under the steering wheel there is no ecu. You can explain it was an option at that time to the MOT man, if there was a yellow plug, check the fuses in the drivers knee area.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
That would explain the steering wheel, is the brass ring a seperate piece from the steering wheel then yea? Do you know if there is a different brass ring for the 96 and 98 spec steering wheels? I didn't see the yellow plug, so where would the SRS ECU live just so I can check. Thanks

WallaceGlanza

Member +
On my car (97) which also had the steering wheel bodged at some point there was no horn on the wheel either - I had a stupid button on the dash, on the 96 there should be a pin which sticks out on the steering column this then makes constant contact with a brass strip on the back of the wheel, as John says this isn't on the 97/98 as it goes through the spiral cable which is the connector for the airbag and horn. Yours should have the horn connector pin on the column so you could just stick a brass ring to the back of the wheel - if it doesn't already have one, I had to bodge my own contact pin for my new wheel.

The indicators however are separate, it's just a case of lining up another notch on the wheel with a plastic bit on the column.

I've never had the airbag light come up on mine (and I think the bulb is there!?), I have an OMP wheel fitted now so no driver airbag but no idea if the passenger one will still work!

starletsy

Member +
Guessing you have a 4 spoke steering wheel?
You will need the 3 spoke one to get everything working they have lots of differences betwwen the two, indicator stalks, pickup ring, steering wheel and plastics

Rev

Member +
Recently fixed my horn :)

Sequence was >
First the wires to the brass ring properly connected and wires to horn at the engine especially that the negative through the bolt connection at the horn . An auto electrician put electrical grease on the brass ring ( worst thing you can do ) to try to make the horn contact work, cleaned all this off the brass ring , cleaned contacts inside the steering wheel. Now I can hear the relay click when I press the horn at the steering wheel. [ You can skip the steps between the steeering wheel and the horn relay if the horn relay already clicks when you press the horn ]

Tried several horns , making sure they are ( 12v and low amp 8amp I think ) rating like the original. Still no horn.

Finally I took out the horn relay from the engine bay fuse box took the cover off it and cleaned between the contacts with a very fine emery paper carefully to keep the insides very clean. I also made sure the relay fuse box contacts were tight and clean before putting the relay back.

You guessed it the horn sprang back to life and driving has become a lot safer.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Guessing you have a 4 spoke steering wheel?
You will need the 3 spoke one to get everything working they have lots of differences betwwen the two, indicator stalks, pickup ring, steering wheel and plastics

No mate, its the 3 spoke 98 wheel on a 96 car. The steering column has got a long pin coming out, so far I have got the horns working when I manually press the pin but I couldnt see how the steering wheel was meant to press on the pin. So I now get the point of the brass ring, but is the brass ring used to complete the circuit or what, at it seems the pin needs to be fully pressed rather than just make contact with something.

Just a quick point aside, but I've got an OMP steering wheel in my 1992 ep82 (everything works fine)but I've never used my horn when in motion! Only stationary for not wanting other road users to bump my car when parking (really not very well). When people pull out in front of my or get into the wrong lane I just make sure I get outa the way!!! Never had time to go for the horn! :)

Rev

Member +
IMO would not recommend running without a horn.
Firstly it is good at speed if you can anticipate a problem like someone obviously didnt look when entering traffic. or someone doesnt see you in their side mirrors and start to run into you - horn plus getting out of the way are sometimes both required.

With larger vehicles that are not able to see you it is a must.
For example > When my horn was broken I had a truck stop and suddenly reverse into me, someone came up behind so there was no where to go but wait for the crunch. _ _ _ _The horn is there for saftey.

Last edited: