TGTT Forum Upgrade

gv1.3

Admin
Hi Ladies and Gents,

As you might have noticed we are in the process of upgrading the forum. Over the years the forum software provider has gotten more and more buggy and following our last update of software many parts of the forum were causing problems. We have moved to a new home on the Internet and are now using new forum software which should provide some obvious improvements over the previous forum:

-Faster and more flexible search capability
-Mobile formatting for better browsing on handsets
-Cleaner and more responsive interface

Our primary goal was to get the forum back online with main content maintained and searchable, that is now accomplished.

Secondary focus is on features and styling, please bear with us as that is tended to over the coming weeks.

Forum admin

Jay

Admin
At last the old girl is getting a rebuild and some fancy bits. I'm sure many will welcome the progress. The simple fact we have a search button again will help a lot of people.

Ready and willing to move things on for TGTT so just tell us what you need Dylan.

Over the years the forum software provider has gotten more and more buggy

Sorry - This deserves this weeks 'No shit Sherlock' award. :-D

Jay

Admin
Frankly I'm not surprised, it's a fairly cut and thrust market. If they don't take care of their customers someone else will ;) :cool::D

(Smilies are working BTW)

Jay

Admin
Yeah like certain GT smilies I miss already.

Also it's 2am and I'm wearing shades - priority on the colour scheme please!

giphy.gif

SKINY

Lifer
Obviously still a few issues to fix, when I hit the Home button it goes to a shot of a MK2 GT and no options.
Hopefully this re-boot will get the activity level up, Facebook is a Forum killer and I hate it so here's hoping :)

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
Amen to that, whilst I'm checking desktop functionality could everyone report any issues that they notice please? Looking to make sure phones and tablets operate as they should as that was our biggest criticism.

SKINY

Lifer
So far, when I click on news and announcements it takes me back to the MK2 GT what must be home screen, no buttons or options on this screen so have to click back. Clicking on the second forum button down does the same as does the home buttons.
The rest of the sections appear to be working fine tho, I will have a good look through tonight and report my findings.

Jay, msg me for a video of you don't know what I mean bud o_O:D

Calum122

Member +
apparently the software provider has lost a huge part of its market share. Sad because it used to be the go to forum software.
Ahh, not really.

The software the "Forum Provider" sells you can be had for free with minimal maintenance costs. What you want to be paying for is the hosting and the help when you needed it most.

I can't see the benefits for paying for Forum Software post that.

But very glad to see this forum back on the right track.

Agreed with the eye burning colour though. Definitely look to tone it down. And welcome back!

gv1.3

Admin
Ahh, not really.

The software the "Forum Provider" sells you can be had for free with minimal maintenance costs. What you want to be paying for is the hosting and the help when you needed it most.

I can't see the benefits for paying for Forum Software post that.

But very glad to see this forum back on the right track.

Agreed with the eye burning colour though. Definitely look to tone it down. And welcome back!
You have made some assumptions which are not correct. If we meet at some point in the future I will run through how the forum is hosted and the history of that including when it was migrated from its open source origins etc.

Calum122

Member +
You have made some assumptions which are not correct. If we meet at some point in the future I will run through how the forum is hosted and the history of that including when it was migrated from its open source origins etc.
Ohh go on, you've peaked my interest.

I mean it was basically PHPBB. And since PHP is pretty obselete these days, I'm guessing that's what you mean by the market share dissappearing.

I've hoped this forum would be revived for a while now. Credit due to Jay and Duncan keeping it alive.

I am always available if the forum needs assisstance, which I said to Jay previously.

But since the forums been migrated, I'm going to say that you're capable of handling from here.

Well done

Jay

Admin
Now does anyone know how to drag people back to this dark corner of the starlet community?

Even for a brief update on what cars they have moved on to since the heyday!

Calum122

Member +
You don't want to drag people Jay, I'm sure those that want to use it, will.

Forums have been quiet a lot lately with the turn of social media. But there will always be some that stick to the forums.