the budget coilover setup for starlet ( 185£ )

5e colin

Member +
so me being a poor man i could never afford the big brand pro coilovers for my starlet so i went on a mission to find budget coild for my starlet so after months off research i came up with a closed match and they were old golf coils *so i put up a thread off it on toc and our moderator DJNR8 came to the resceu
he could provide me all the details i needed so he did he was strait on it emailing me the pictures and measurement *

so first off i want to say thank you djnr8 for being there with mi od requests :):):)

this is where i got them pm them tru ebay and request mk2 fronts and mk1 rears ( golf )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...Y-/251385383078?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

EDIT: LINK NOT WORKING ANYMORE YOU NOW ARE STUCK WITH POLO 6N COILOVERS

so finally my ta technics coilovers arrived this morning there from mk1/2 golf fronts are mk2 and rears mk1

so strait away went digging up my old topmounts to try fitting them hoping they fit *:cheers:* yay they do strait bolt on we are in luck boys :)*they do knead small modifications but its only minor that could be done at home !!!!!

here a quick pic with the topmounts on for now till i make some more detailed 1s about the mods needed on the bottom off the coils

so taken some measurements *so here we go

these are the bits u need they just unsrcew off the coils

golf vs starlet mount

starlet rear 32mm

golf mk1 rear 50mm !!!!!!!

this is how much will come off off the sides still plenty left :)

its this way we knead to file the hole down a bit

think i will get my angle grinder out in a min. and trim the rear bushes

well i cut the rear bottoms to size *warning to people using a angle grinder cough cough some really nasty stinking smell comes off it do not inhale like i did i am still coughing brrr

this is the spacer u want to cut down 5mm to get more thread uptop

in the bench u get an idea now how much

this 1 is for bimotoman *as requester

when u cut the spacers make sure when u finish they are equal length like this

now my 2 rear coilovers are ready to fit this is what they look like

will have to play with spring tension and height adjusters

have a small issue :)ha ha

so i made the holes on both for the starlet hub to fit

here you can see my rooky mistake i should off taken equal out off both holes then this wouldn't of happened
anyways i am not bothered i will just buy 3mm thick washers and make a small cut out in them
problem solved :):)

so i finished my fronts today *and made a pic how low they go with the helper spring removed
ONLY 400mm tall *!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while with the helper still in it its 485mm tal
thats an extra drop off 8.5cm !!!!!!!!!!!

here are how they are now set to softest and with the topmounts on *ready to fit

so who ever does this in the future go and enjoy them ha ha

COMPLEETED

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
Abit of lateral thinking there! nice work!

you should ahve made a couple of sets!

Phil

5e colin

Member +
thanks phil :) ( Alot off research !!!! ) thought i share with my fellow starleteers :) so they could make there own

or mayby some have old coils that are feckered and use there bottom bits for it ????

5e colin

Member +
completed lads any question just ask :) :)

can a member off staf adjust my topic title to compleeted ???? i cant

Last edited:

Gryzor

Admin
Can we have a couple more pictures of the fitment etc. ?
What spring compression did you go for ?
Do the rears make any noise ?
I can't find the 2 sets of coilovers on ebay for £185 deliveried ?

Also worth linking to this thread on TA Technix coilovers..

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would do something with those rear bottom fixings. you will have no movement in that bottom bush, it will just rub metal to metal.
also the bottom brackets for the front, i would have bought both holes closer together rather than just one. more work, but then you get a flat section to do the nuts/bolts up onto.

otherwise good job. its always hard being the first to have a go as you have to go through all the trial and error yourself :)

5e colin

Member +
thanks for the comments guys i think there great ( but i never owned coils before !!!! ) so i cant give my expertise on this on smooth new roads there the dogs bollo@
i have already bean blasting around the roundabouts waaay faster with no slides ha ha ( on the old shocks and 40mm lowering springs my rear end kept on sliding away on me ,
but the negative is on shit roads i have to go slower !!!!!! waaay slower little potholes feel like mount everest now !!!!!

but have great grip now in the wet on my stock size tyres , i cant wait for summer and some wider semi slicks

5e colin

Member +
i would do something with those rear bottom fixings. you will have no movement in that bottom bush, it will just rub metal to metal.
also the bottom brackets for the front, i would have bought both holes closer together rather than just one. more work, but then you get a flat section to do the nuts/bolts up onto.

otherwise good job. its always hard being the first to have a go as you have to go through all the trial and error yourself :)

ya sorry mate dint really look out for that problem on the front i just bolted the hub to the bottom hole and started to enlage the hole without taking notice :) i was to exited to get the job done but equaling the distance in both holes woul off bean perfect :) :)

thanks for the tip of the rear bottom bush !!!!!!! i am going to check that tomorow and adjust !!!! thanks dacer

3.5 months off surfing sites for measurements !!!!! thank god its over ha ha

5e colin

Member +
Can we have a couple more pictures of the fitment etc. ?
What spring compression did you go for ?
Do the rears make any noise ?
I can't find the 2 sets of coilovers on ebay for £185 deliveried ?

Also worth linking to this thread on TA Technix coilovers..

will get more pics for u the next week ( which 1s ??? )

the rear spring compression to 30cm the fronts just hand tight

rear makes no noise ??? why you ask ????

i pasted the link in top off the thread pm them tru egay and request mk1 rear and mk2 front they dont have to be ta technics if u want diferent brand there just the 1s i got :)

Gryzor

Admin
will get more pics for u the next week ( which 1s ??? )

how the car sits at the front , pics of them on the car, a few of the finished product.

the rear spring compression to 30cm the fronts just hand tight

rear makes no noise ??? why you ask ????

with the bush cut flat there's a good chance of metal rubbing on metal hence the question about noise.

i pasted the link in top off the thread pm them tru egay and request mk1 rear and mk2 front they dont have to be ta technics if u want diferent brand there just the 1s i got :)

ah I couldn't find fronts individually.

Phil

Super Moderator
nice to see somebody at something different could have guess it would be you Colin lol

you may have orders coming in for these! so get them perfected.

Phil

Gryzor

Admin
my ep failed the MOT with a leaky rear trd coilover, I'd already used my only replacement on the otherside last year so I'll be giving this a go and see how they compare the the trd ones...

5e colin

Member +
ha ha phill i like challenges :) :)

i heard a thumping noise today so i checked the old topmounts i put on the left is perfect the right side i can push 5mm forewards and backwards so thats the thumb noise

i also hear on that side in the quarter pannel when i am driving somtimes trrr trrr like a socket lying in there and bouncing i never heard this before
could this be the bottom mounting ??????????

if not i must take my iner pannel off an check for debris in there ????

my passo side is smooth as no noises or nothing i can feel the springs softening already a small bit its les bouncy on my local road and absorbing more and less jumping upwards

5e colin

Member +
my ep failed the MOT with a leaky rear trd coilover, I'd already used my only replacement on the otherside last year so I'll be giving this a go and see how they compare the the trd ones...

great mate give it a go make sure you ask MK1 rears and MK2 fronts ( why not mk2 rears ???? because there 4 inches longer then starlet and mk1 )

and dont make my mistake on the front 1s :) :)

sheepy gt

Fresh Recruit
We'll done Colin nice bit of work. I've been building a starlet for 3 years and iive yet to finish it and on my list is coilovers definitely giving these a go.fair play to you.

5e colin

Member +
We'll done Colin nice bit of work. I've been building a starlet for 3 years and iive yet to finish it and on my list is coilovers definitely giving these a go.fair play to you.

thanks mate i hope my custom diy is useful to you all

keep an eye on my projects i have a gearbox in mind next :) :) actually its not next its after next :) i have to finish my vf to stock cat turbo kit first :)

Last edited: