Top mounted turbos ?

Tyler4072

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys just wondering you guys opinion on top mounted turbos is it a gain or any benefits and does it affect anything ?

dac69er

Super Moderator
it looks cool. thats pretty much the only benefit. oh, i guess you can generally access the actuator more easily if it is top mounted.

Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
oil filter handy changed anyway buddy, the tf035 turbo i bought was rotated for top mount but i just turned it again to its normal position.
top mounts are class looking tho :)

thefalls

Member +
oil filter handy changed anyway buddy, the tf035 turbo i bought was rotated for top mount but i just turned it again to its normal position.
top mounts are class looking tho :)
Tell me more about this tf035 set up.
sounds interesting,spools early? top end is good?
What power are you making?

SKINY

Lifer
Have a read through my thread buddy :) it's from a Subaru forester. Everyone bangs on about TD04 but I didn't want to lose to much spool up time so read the tf035 still spools up early so bought one lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
Have a read through my thread buddy :) it's from a Subaru forester. Everyone bangs on about TD04 but I didn't want to lose to much spool up time so read the tf035 still spools up early so bought one lol

i was going to go tf035 on mine, but couldnt find one at the time and the impreza turbos are just so cheap and easy to find.
i quite like the power delivery of the td04 tbh. i dont regret not going tf035

SKINY

Lifer
i was going to go tf035 on mine, but couldnt find one at the time and the impreza turbos are just so cheap and easy to find.
i quite like the power delivery of the td04 tbh. i dont regret not going tf035
I've sat in just the one td04 Glanza and while it went like stink I didn't like the way the boost took to 38/4000k to get going, the tf035 I read spools about 6-800rpm later than ct9 from what I've read

What does yours come in at ?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I've sat in just the one td04 Glanza and while it went like stink I didn't like the way the boost took to 38/4000k to get going, the tf035 I read spools about 6-800rpm later than ct9 from what I've read

What does yours come in at ?

cant remember tbh. havnt driven the car in a few years. it may take a little longer to reach full boost, but that doesnt mean it has no power at all below that. its not all about when you get full boost, the more progressive boost curve can be nicer to drive with imo.

i have a stock ct9 on one of mine, a hybrid ct9 on another and a td04 on my ep85 and they are all slightly different to drive and they have their good and bad points.

it also depends how its setup and tuned of course. a poorly setup tf035 could be worse to drive than a well sorted td04.

Rev

Member +
RE top mounted turbos. If the heat is kept well away from the engine head ( Radiator pipes included) I cant see its much difference to the usual location unless the turbo is only air cooled however oil pressure issues need to be to considered similar to oil relocaters and in either case shielding the turbo and turbo pipes from the exhaust manifold extreme heat zone could be more difficult at the top.

Last edited: