TPS - info required - for going standalone

Phil

Super Moderator
Well guys,

ive been told that an starlet AUTO tps would be ideal for using with a standalone.

ive been told that other TPS's from other brands can be used.

but what i would like to clarify is that i have been told that a NA starlet UK spec also give throttle % rather than just open shut.

what truth is in this statement?

i have a certain amount of faith in the source but not enough yet to call of my search for a cheap TPS (with loom plug)

also if Nosydnew (Wendyson) is reading this i know you are on holiday currently, and im still very interested in your TPS i look forward to hearing back from you further about the loom plug :)

Information appreciated Kind sirs.

Phil

EP91_Chris

Member +
In a nut shell, yes the N/A TPS give the throttle position as a %.

I would have wired my AFC Neo up using the TPS for a proper setup, but mine just hangs in the bay. It's not connected as it was giving me grief with the ITB's. I can 100% confirm this in a week or two, when I get a chance. I'll wire the AFC up through the ECU for the TPS and get a reading that way.

Another reason I am sure, when I first did the 5e swap, the TPS on the 5e was they same as the FTE and ending up mis-firing as a result.

I should also note, I'm still using a 4e-fe ECU. The TPS error code was flagged up when the swap was first done. Once I had the 4e-fe TPS on, this mis-fire was cured.

With regards to the loom plug, it's not needed. I have the wiring diagrams form autodata and used speaker spade connectors (i lost my original one on the motorway).

Last edited:

Gryzor

Admin
EUR RHD 4EFE MTM 5F 5D
89452 SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION (FOR E.F.I.)
89452-10040 (02/1997 - 06/1998) 1 € 74.84
89452-20130 (07/1998 - ) 1 € 83.84

4efte auto
89452-22090 1 $157.04

4efte manual
89452-14020 1 $118.29

Phil

Super Moderator
EUR RHD 4EFE MTM 5F 5D
89452-10040 (02/1997 - 06/1998) 1 € 74.84
89452-20130 (07/1998 - ) 1 € 83.84

4efte auto
89452-22090 1 $157.04

4efte manual
89452-14020 1 $118.29

Thanks,

but this is me, Phil, i know nothign useful about starlets at all, i have no idea what to do with those numbers, or what to deduce from them in their current form.

pray tell what i can learn about these three sensor part numbers.

thanks in advance for further informations Richy.

Phil

EP91_Chris

Member +
What I have deciphered from that, don't take this a gospel.

89452-1**** = non resistance
89452-2****= resistance

Could get that for definite by looking up a different model which is confirmed as resistant & one confirmed as non-resistant.

Out of interest, can you throw up a part number for a Paseo one as that's what I'm using at the moments. I would but I'm using my phone.

Phil

Super Moderator
Im using an skyline gtr tps fits and works with minimal effort if thats any use can got cheap from a breakers..

Yeah cheers Corey, this was Chris's preference can be got reasonable money brandnew aswell.

just liked the idea of getting a starlet part to do the job, but i may end up down this route anyhow!

Phil

Gryzor

Admin
oh the answers you guys have are priceless, so Chris may well be right and the NA uk spec sensor though 3pin may be a % variable TPS?

Phil
"Some TPS incorporate a Closed Throttle Position switch (also called an idle contact switch).
This switch is closed when the throttle valve is closed. At this point, the ECM measures 0 volts
and there is 0 volts at the IDL terminal. When the throttle is opened, the switch opens and the
ECM reads +B voltage at the IDL circuit. "

Ref...

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
starlet ones only the 4 wires gives a reading from 0 to 100.. works as a potentiometer the 3 wire starlet has t switches inside (points) so reads open and closed

EP91_Chris

Member +
I'm nearly 100% certain that the UK spec give the reading 0-100. Reason being the 3 pin FTE /FHE TPS would not work with the 4e-fe ECU.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
well it could be. and the ecu can read the 0% as closed throttle. you got a part num of the uk spec tps??

Phil

Super Moderator
phil, if you want to find a 4 wire denso (toyota tps) here is a list of on which cars it came on.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?v=J_1996_TOYOTA_STARLET_EP91-AGPQY_8404&s=8945222090

thank you very muchly malteaser man :)

plenty of good info, im almost scared to say that im pretty much sorted, i will with chris deduce the na TPS query completely(maybe) and between 5e_Colin and Wendyson im pretty sure im going to get sorted with an 4wire auto TPS.

Many thanks and love to you all.

Weejohn is bound to know the Uk spec tps answer, he just knows stuff like that.

Phil