Valve spring info Plz?

jam

Member +
Hi, Does anyone ever put thicker washers under stock valve spring to compress and harden the spring to prevent it from bouncing?

whiteglanzav

Member +
i wouldnt fuck about doing dodgy stuff like that especially to the valve train - a good and complicated way to fuck up an engine if you ask me . . . . . .

jam

Member +
i wouldnt fuck about doing dodgy stuff like that especially to the valve train - a good and complicated way to fuck up an engine if you ask me . . . . . .

Hi,There must be a solution to it mate as many people running Big HP starlet REV to 9000 rpm without F.....ck there engine. anyone else idea would be appreciated.Thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
I would say..buy some proper valve springs.
I almost do the trick with the thicker washers everytime on uprated springs but not for the propose you thinking doing it.
You will gain next to nothing adding there thicker washers. The material of the spring itshelf should be thicker and stronger.
If i am not mistaken the base pressure of the oem is 28lbs and cruise are 40-45 lbs..hyabusa springs are 60 lbs..
Noway you can go from 28lbs to 40 whatever washer you put in there.

The other prob you will face is that if you put thick washers and high lift cam could face some coil to coil binding wich can cause damage to the cam or fully destroy the engine and head..

Chris

jam

Member +
I almost do the trick with the thicker washers everytime on uprated springs but not for the propose you thinking doing it.
You will gain next to nothing adding there thicker washers. The material of the spring itshelf should be thicker and stronger.
If i am not mistaken the base pressure of the oem is 28lbs and cruise are 40-45 lbs..hyabusa springs are 60 lbs..

The other prob you will face is that if you put thick washers and high lift cam could face some coil to coil binding wich can cause damage to the cam or fully destroy the engine and head..

Chris

Hi Chris,Thanks for your advice.So which aftermarket valve spring are direct swap without modifying the head and damaging the camshaft?Please advice.Thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
Usually i work with cruise one wich are a bit on the expensive side..:(
In some heads those are direct fit..on others if it is a little step around the washer at the bottom the head needs to be flatened down there.
Other option is HRF springs wich are in between of oem and cruise (in terms of base pessure )There also direct fit aswell but i think they are discontiniued...any more..Maybe some sets still around worldwide..:(
Other option in wich machine job is required is the hyabusa springs...with wide window of base pressures available so you can choose whatever you like. I had a head with them but i havent done the job myshelf on this so dont really know what exactly is envolved and by how much you need to grind.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
I would also like to know this.any uprated replacements that need no aditional work?

Proper job is to align them all to have the exactly same base pressure.
Thinking of the above no other spring option will be straight forward swap.
Ok yes maybe they fit the hole and accept the clips and hold the valve tight but this isnt enough when it comes to performance..
Even on the jenuine springs if you mess them around or change any valve you need to adjust them from scratch. Anyway..nobody do those jobs..at least most people dont do this job properly...
But if you want your head-cams and other movable parts to survive longer..you need to be presize..

Chris

Mikey4410

Member +
Some awesome info there dude.thanks very much. . . .

quick question though,does the higher spring strength mean that there more pressure on cams etc and there a slight initial loss of bhp?

350ep70gr

Member +
Some awesome info there dude.thanks very much. . . .

quick question though,does the higher spring strength mean that there more pressure on cams etc and there a slight initial loss of bhp?

Generaly speaking for springs isnt only the length that adds to the pressure.
Coil to coil distance,diametre of wire,material plays a role aswell. You need to exam them all as a total..Not just the length.
Yes higher pressure is bhp loss and timing belt extra stress ...but valve not closed properly is a way bigger loss. Higher the base pressure is more than a level..higher chanches you have to destroy valve and valve seat..and cam lobes...even to drop a valve in two pieces..if stems are modified aswell.
If you tell me what you wanna do..maybe i can be more specific to what choises you can select.

Chris

Last edited:
post sillyest thread ive seen dude dont even think about that trust me..... if you want to uprate them then get a new uprated set cruise ect unless your reving over stock rev limiter or running forge i wouldent bova dude

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.

Chris

Well said as always chris!! The only result he may get from adding washers under the valve spring is that his base pressure will be increased significantly, in turn causing cam eathing...

kon

jam

Member +
Thanks a lot for your advice guys what I understand is just to align and make the uprated valve spring settle properly on the head that is the surface must be flat or I must grind the head just to make the longer spring sit deeper down and make it same length to the stock one when compressed.Please advice rep will be added.Thanks

weeJohn

Lifer
Any spring will basically be the same length as the stock springs once fitted, unless you get a valve angle job done then the top of the valve stem will sit very slightly higher and in turn make the spring longer.

With uprated springs you should just fit them and not need to worry unless your cams have massive lift. Then you need to check the springs coils are not being crushed together when compressed.

jam

Member +
Any spring will basically be the same length as the stock springs once fitted, unless you get a valve angle job done then the top of the valve stem will sit very slightly higher and in turn make the spring longer.

With uprated springs you should just fit them and not need to worry unless your cams have massive lift. Then you need to check the springs coils are not being crushed together when compressed.

Thanks mate Thats the answer am looking after rep will be added.Thanks again.