What do I need for 5efe turbo conversion?

Browner

Member +
Ok lads I have a mint 1988 ep70 boxy STarlet with complete Cynos running gear; complete 5efe engine, loom, ECU, injectors, gearbox, Cynos discs braes front and back etc. Looking to know what I would need to do a turbo conversion on it?

I know I will need to modify the exhaust and buy a turbo kit. I don't want to go stripping the engine as it is very, very tight and bone dry so want to leave it be. Will running a thicker head gasket be enough to lower the compression and if so what size head gasket would be best?

I want to go down the TD04 route

Thanks

Browner

buckets

Member +
you be needing to strip the engine too put lower compression pistons in it ,,or you can maybe get away with putting a bigger headgasket on it some like 2.4 ,youll need turbo ecu ,and injectors from a glanza or gt also fuel pressure ,depend o what you want from it ,,,

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
4E sump, 4E oil pickup, 4E oil filter adapter, alternativly use a 5E sump and pickup but you'll need to have the oil return from the turbo added to the 5E sump, this will however give you a larger oil capacity.

Power dependant, as buckets has said you should think about putting in either 4E standard pistons or forged rods and low comp forged pistons, but then you looking at a whole build, bearings, seals and both pumps.

Browner

Member +
I don't want to go and strip the engine. I don't want another big project on my hands, one was enough stress! Lol

Will a 2.4 head gasket lower the compression sufficiently?

some of the guys in the US turbo high compression tercels---usually 5efhe with the stronger/thicker connecting rods
however, this set up needs to be properly set up and tuned for it to be reliable

on a 5efe, IF it has the skinny rods, its not known to be able to handle moderate levels of boost---rod failure

Browner

Member +
That's good info thanks very much!

So basically it's an engine build no 2 ways about it

I may build one up slowly over time and then do the changeover