What the f*** is wrong with my car

I am absoloutly rageing now i have tried everything i can think of now and im at the end im not paying some gypsy mechanic to tell me shit so he can have a field day with my bank account !

As you will probs know i had coolant issues and i have done the following

Head gasket changed
New head bolts
Head skimmed
All fluids inc coolant changed and rad flyshed through
New top rad hose(last one was a bit tatty)
New 1.3 rad cap
Thermostat

The heaters are now working and blowing hot air
Temp gauge is exactly half way reading normal
No weird noises etc etc

Radiator is roasting
Fans not coming on
Top rad hose is roasting

Intercooler pipe keeps popping off, could this be anything to do with it ?

Im really close to just driving it till it blows up and sell the parts im so wound up with it, everything i have tried isnt working

Im sick of it, any ideas ?

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
Radiator is roasting
Fans not coming on
Top rad hose is roasting

The rad hose and radiator will get hot, that's normal. How long have you left the engine running to say the rad fan isn't coming on?

I'm struggling to see any issue from what your saying?

I mean really hot mate little bits of steam from the rad cap , possible dribbles drying out ? Took it round the block and no fan had it running a while with heaters on rad cap off to bleed the system mate

Texx

Super Moderator
Stick the rad cap back on, turn the heater to cold and hold the engine speed at around 2500rpm. If the rad fan comes on before the temperature gauge begins to rise and the expansion tank doesn't have coolant exploding out of it, I'd say your worrying about nothing.

Rad cap on
Heater to cold
If fan comes on before it gets up to temp nothing wrong ?

Where the small bits of steam coming from around the beck of the rad ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Rad cap on
Heater to cold
If fan comes on before it gets up to temp nothing wrong ?

Pretty much. If the above turns out OK, take the car for a drive and give it a bit of abuse whilst keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and any steam coming out from under the bonnet. If the 'road test' doesn't raise any issues, park the car up, let it cool over night and then check and top up the coolant level in the radiator and expansion tank.

Where the small bits of steam coming from around the beck of the rad ?

Could just be spilt coolant on the outside of the rad boiling off, I wouldn't be too bothered about it unless you can see coolant dripping onto the floor whilst the engine is running.

I think it could be too but was doin it before ill take it a good run and see whats what

Collant res tank dropped by about half an inch...no leaks ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Collant res tank dropped by about half an inch...no leaks ?

The level in the expansion tank will go up and down, it's part and parcel of a pressure release vacuum return cooling system. Just fill the radiator to the top and expansion tank up to the maximum mark when the engine is cold and that should be job done. Just keep an eye on the coolant level in both the tank and radiator, checking them when the engine is cold. If the coolant level in the radiator keeps dropping then you have a leak somewhere.

turboloon

Member +
just out of curiosty have you removed the a.c.?if you have just make sure the right fan plug has been connected up as when my mate done mine he connected the rad fan to the a.c. cooling fan plug..of course i was wondering why my fan was never kicking in and i traced it to a simple plug!!doh!!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Im really close to just driving it till it blows up
Chris

Hey man,

You have done all the hard work, dont let this put you off. You are nearly there. Grab a cuppa tea/beer. Stick a new thermostat in it. Fill the rad up, fill the expansion tax to the max level and let it warm up. then just go for a drive. Check the expansion tank when you get home. If all is good your probably worrying about nothing.

:)

Thanks for the replys lads looks like its sorted boosting fine and that only. One snag and coul be a big thing now and then when i stop i get exhaust smoke. Pufffs that smell like burning oil :(

And ill double check about that ac plug mate thanks !