whats the diffrence between these 2 ct9s

superspat

Member +
i got 2 diffrenct ct9s with my glanza, they are both shagged and have shaft play but gonna get 1 rebuild and on the car wheile i get my gt28 rebuild. am i rite in thinking 1 is a ct9a and 1 is a ct9b bt to the extra 2 blades??
DSC_3076.jpg

DSC_3075.jpg

superspat

Member +
Not to hand. Will check tommro. I thought the glanza had an extra exhaust blade, didnt know the had 2 extra inlet blades aswell

Fro

Member +
As above, I thought it was an extra exhaust blade the glanza had? Top one looks like a hybrid IMO

superspat

Member +
Kinda hopeing it is a hybrid as its gonna feel slow with a ct9 on while i save to get my gt28 rebuilt.can Any 1 shed any light on this. Will get some exhaust side pics up tommro aswell

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Left is a ct9a right is a ct9b...

DSCF0682.jpg

If it is a hybrib the penny and the hole it covers will be bigger than the ones in the pic...

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
hybrids hav bigger inlet on the compressor housing so standard efi pipe wont fit and u could tell the difference looking at the two together

Skalabala

Member +
The fastest way to know when it is a CT9A or CT9B even while the turbo is on the engine
is to look at the compressor housing. The CT9A says "TOYOTA CT9" on it while the CT9B only says "TOYOTA" :)

superspat

Member +
The fastest way to know when it is a CT9A or CT9B even while the turbo is on the engine
is to look at the compressor housing. The CT9A says "TOYOTA CT9" on it while the CT9B only says "TOYOTA" :)

so going by the pics of my 2 ct9s the 1 that should be a ct9a has the 2 extra blades in the inlet compressor and looks likes its some type of hybrid then. gonna take it to turbo dynamaics and let them have a quick look at it

Rev

Member +
The difference I have read is zero for top power end but the ct9b spools faster so I guess gives more torque at the bottom end which is designed to move the heavier Glanza.

corofin12345

Member +
first turbo aint normal and the inlet has been bored out also

here a picture of my ct9a and ct9b... a on the left and b on the right..
19042011125.jpg

the compressor wheel in your first picture has 2 extra blades? i cant imagine it been off a diesel either cause the wastegate is too big for a diesel... its a ct9a housing but compare it to mine and ull notice the inlet is thicker on mine.. yours looks bored out. any chance ud sell me the housing and wheel?? lol

also, is there anything else on the compressor housing and exhaust housing?? exhaust housing should have "2" stamped on it near the mani flange..

Last edited:

Skalabala

Member +
so going by the pics of my 2 ct9s the 1 that should be a ct9a has the 2 extra blades in the inlet compressor and looks likes its some type of hybrid then. gonna take it to turbo dynamaics and let them have a quick look at it

Yes that is a little hybrid going on there. I'll say compressor wheel from a TD04 9B

superspat

Member +
the compressor wheel in your first picture has 2 extra blades? i cant imagine it been off a diesel either cause the wastegate is too big for a diesel... its a ct9a housing but compare it to mine and ull notice the inlet is thicker on mine.. yours looks bored out. any chance ud sell me the housing and wheel?? lol

also, is there anything else on the compressor housing and exhaust housing?? exhaust housing should have "2" stamped on it near the mani flange..

cant sell it as need it to put on my v intill my gt28r get rebuild as the seals have gone, going ot have a look at the exhaust side in a min and will et some pics up

Skalabala

Member +
cant sell it as need it to put on my v intill my gt28r get rebuild as the seals have gone, going ot have a look at the exhaust side in a min and will et some pics up

make sure you get a guaranty on that GT28R, if it starts to get problems they dont stop.

superspat

Member +
DSC_3082.jpg

the 1 witht he heat shield on is the 1 with the larger inlet compresser, the waste gate is also ported but has 1 less blade on the exhaust compressor and has the number 3 stamped on the houseing.
my 28r is smoking and needs a full rebuild with new pistons and inlet compressor blade, been qouted £400 so will deff get a guaranty and i know the blokes that work there so any problems i only got to take it back

TurboDave

Member +
Anybody with even a low knowledge of CT9's will be able to see that the first ones compressor wheel is not standard and the housing is internally bored as the compressor inlet is thinner on the first one due to material being taken away from it internally to fit the larger wheel, the comp wheel looks like one I used to use on the hybrid builds so wouldnt be suprised if it is one of the ones I supplied some years ago. Looks like there is a cut back on the turbine wheel as well.