Who's rocking 17's???...pics plz

I know...... Some people might use them in the summer on track or for fast road. Just want to see if anybody has any and if so what profile tyre
They are running, 215/35r17 etc etc.
Jesus....sorry for asking lol

triple j

Member +
17s on a starlet is a no no, wouldnt mind speedo readings its draging them around and road tracking all over the shop, performance and handling wise it better for smaller wheels.

5e colin

Member +
17s on a starlet is a no no, wouldnt mind speedo readings its draging them around and road tracking all over the shop, performance and handling wise it better for smaller wheels.

make no difernce in tracking tripple j the outer size is the same only when lowered then the isseu arises off arch rubbing and inside tyre touching chassi leg but that can be sorted right if you pick the right ofsett and with of tyre/rim

i will be going 17" to 1s my extension brackets arrive for my twins and 316mm discs with light weight weels

Paul_JJ

Member +
17 are no good because they're HEAVY, therefore the performance of the car will be reduced as well as the MPG... THE ONLY benefit in my opinion is that you can fit bigger brakes but it's possible to fit 300mm on to 15 inch, which I think is more than enough for a starlet considering it's weight...

5e colin

Member +
i said use light weight wheels there NOT HEAVY !!!!!

and im still goin with those 316mm to fill up the 17" hole

Last edited:
Your msgs full 5e colin.

I think it is user prefference. Different wheel size for different
Surfaces makes the car handle differently.

You wouldnt use 14s with 60 profile on tarmac track as the tyre will not give you the best response or feedback
Nor will it be as stable. Tyre roll, grip etc etc,
Touring cars dont use big alloys and low profile tyres for no reason
And a rally car set up for road/tarmac will also change to big alloy and low tyre.

Dont get me wrong, the WRONG 17 will be dreadfull, a good racing lightweight wheel will be awesome

It purley depends on the driver choice and the surface conditions

And then there is just stupidity........19,s on a flared arch starlet with flip paint and sub woofers filling the back out!

Dont be scared of 17s......just gotta know how to use them.

Ive got some 14s, 15s, winter, etc etc

I love it how people think its a crime to put any other size wheel on rather than what they have

This is good arguing.

Paul_JJ

Member +
i said use light weight wheels there NOT HEAVY !!!!!

and im still goin with those 316mm to fill up the 17" hole

Light 15 still will be lighter than light 17, therefore 17 is Heavy (compared to 15 light -)))) ) But I see your point for 316mm you'll definitely need 17 inch wheels.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Your msgs full 5e colin.

I think it is user prefference. Different wheel size for different
Surfaces makes the car handle differently.

You wouldnt use 14s with 60 profile on tarmac track as the tyre will not give you the best response or feedback
Nor will it be as stable. Tyre roll, grip etc etc,
Touring cars dont use big alloys and low profile tyres for no reason
And a rally car set up for road/tarmac will also change to big alloy and low tyre.

Dont get me wrong, the WRONG 17 will be dreadfull, a good racing lightweight wheel will be awesome

It purley depends on the driver choice and the surface conditions

And then there is just stupidity........19,s on a flared arch starlet with flip paint and sub woofers filling the back out!

Dont be scared of 17s......just gotta know how to use them.

Ive got some 14s, 15s, winter, etc etc

I love it how people think its a crime to put any other size wheel on rather than what they have

This is good arguing.

Oh yeah, good arguing indeed. The problem with low profile is that it will be a nightmare in a rain or bad weather conditions, since it's raining in the UK almost everyday, it's just a bad idea to use very low profile full stop... Not only that, the 17 inch usually wider as well - that's fantastic on the DRY road, however it's not the best idea for a rain or bad weather condition as the contact patch increases the pressure being put on the road decreases and since the car has a light weight it's a lot easier to start aquaplaning or lose traction...

For me 15 inch was the best choice ever - cheaper tyres, better MPG, better acceleration, doesn't affect the speedo readings, 195/50R15 profile provides the optimal performance in both rain and dry conditions - another words - golden middle!

For harsh winter use I used 14 inch with 60 profile - that was a fantastic traction in a rain/snow, even with exactly the same tyres used on 15 inch wheels. For deep snow 70 profile is recommended with snow tyres of course -)

Most of the people would never buy expensive light 17 inch alloys, so after reading this thread they would go to halfords and get a heavy TSW or something like that, thinking that it will be not only cool, but also better for performance... However in case of Collin use with massive brakes, light wheels and track only setup - OH YEAH, definitely go for it, just hope that it won't be raining that day.....

Guye

Lifer
Oh yeah, good arguing indeed. The problem with low profile is that it will be a nightmare in a rain or bad weather conditions, since it's raining in the UK almost everyday, it's just a bad idea to use very low profile full stop... Not only that, the 17 inch usually wider as well - that's fantastic on the DRY road, however it's not the best idea for a rain or bad weather condition as the contact patch increases the pressure being put on the road decreases and since the car has a light weight it's a lot easier to start aquaplaning or lose traction...

For me 15 inch was the best choice ever - cheaper tyres, better MPG, better acceleration, doesn't affect the speedo readings, 195/50R15 profile provides the optimal performance in both rain and dry conditions - another words - golden middle!

For harsh winter use I used 14 inch with 60 profile - that was a fantastic traction in a rain/snow, even with exactly the same tyres used on 15 inch wheels. For deep snow 70 profile is recommended with snow tyres of course -)

Most of the people would never buy expensive light 17 inch alloys, so after reading this thread they would go to halfords and get a heavy TSW or something like that, thinking that it will be not only cool, but also better for performance... However in case of Collin use with massive brakes, light wheels and track only setup - OH YEAH, definitely go for it, just hope that it won't be raining that day.....

Don't forget about those potholes. I am not sure what pressure you will be running to cause tire roll on a 900kg car. After 10 years of starlet ownership I can tell you that the largest wheel diameter I have seen used daily was 16". After some adventures with real world road conditions, those who go larger have always experience some regret. You are slower in real life if protecting the tire and wheel from pothole damage, this is true for anyone who has invested money on their wheel/tire package. The fact is the thicker the sidewall, the better the ride, the better protected the alloys will be when inevitably hitting the bumps and hole in the roads. I think 17" wheels would look awesome if the stance is just right and the car is in good condition, but I am certain that unless it will be a dedicated track car used on perfect track conditions (some tracks still have damaged road sections) using such a large wheel on a starlet will affect it's practicality as a daily driver.

Last edited:

5e colin

Member +
ay i get your points my fello starleteers low profile and potholes is a disaster

what i dont get in the comments of you guys is when fitting 17" tyres i would have less grip in the rain ????? explain please

toyotagt

Member +
ay i get your points my fello starleteers low profile and potholes is a disaster

what i dont get in the comments of you guys is when fitting 17" tyres i would have less grip in the rain ????? explain please

lol.... i think that bit was made up to make 17" sound bad... lol....

im thinking of changing wheels to 16inch... should i or shouldnt i........ hmmm..

triple j

Member +
The wider tyre in the rain uses up more surface area on the road so has more hope of aquaplaning, the narrow tyre will take up less surface area so a lityle less aquaplane, wider tyre will catch the road ruts more and track u in to them much more, that was what i ment by tracking in my above post.

Paul_JJ

Member +
You guys ever watch WRC? Have a look what kind of tyres they use in Spain, Sweden and Wales - very wide in spain, narrow and low profile in Sweden, and medium narrow in Wales/Ireland - some even use SNOW tyres in Wales and have good results as snow tyres provide better grip in the rain conditions.

Simple physics guys..... try to google, plenty of info about it.

Just spent 15 minutes looking for this thread -)

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...eed-winter-tyres-in-the-UK-and-Ireland-proof-)

Winter tyres usually sell with a MINIMUM of 50 profile, and most manufacturers do just 60, however 70 is recommended. And even though there were no snow on the road you could clearly see that winter tyres (nowhere near low profile on any of WRC cars) provide better traction!

5e colin

Member +
^^^^^^ jeeez man i might aswell fit super slicks from f1 car ha ha

common u cant be for real now there totally diferent compounds you cant compare that to the tyres we drive on on the road the slicks we can get for the road ( on our cars ) are super hard compared racing tyres

Paul_JJ

Member +
^^^^^^ jeeez man i might aswell fit super slicks from f1 car ha ha

common u cant be for real now there totally diferent compounds you cant compare that to the tyres we drive on on the road the slicks we can get for the road ( on our cars ) are super hard compared racing tyres

Nobody is talking about the slicks here, Jesus man put 19 inch if you want, I don't care, I'm trying to be scientific here, but you can't be asked even to do your own research. WIDER tyre + lower profile = SHITE traction in bad weather condition end of it. You can even compare the Spain race to Ireland one ffs, nobody is talking about a compound - LOOK HOW WIDE THE TYRES are in different climate zones they use - the logic is simple if a wider tyre would've been better then they would definitely use it at all times.

I won't reply to this thread anymore, tired of wasting my time, trying to prove something.

5e colin

Member +
no need to climb on ur horse mate ha ha ( joking ) :) :) al ur input welcome we are just chatting :)

it did come first in my mind tho 1s you mentioned rally tyre :) :)

its funny that you mention that on my gtir i had 215wide tyres and i never plained with them and i have in my shitty starlet on my stock tyres several times
personally i prefer bigger wider coz i can feel the road better wet and dry ( thats only on the road experience not track )