To change timing belt or not to change yet

zee20

Member +
Right everyone just seeking advice whether to change my timing belt or not, cars done 107km and as 3 people I have already spoken to have said not to change it yet and is it a small easy job or a long hard job? How much should it cost? Any recommendations on who can do a good job on it in Leeds?

Thank you in advance

GTdan

In The Closet
why should it be changed? when was it last changed?
its a non interfernce one anyway, so if it snaps, it just snaps and needs replacing wont take any cams or anythign with it.

sx_turbo

Lifer
how many miles has the car done?

do you know when the belt was last changed?

it's neither an easy or a really hard job.

cost wise your probably looking at £150 to replace the belt, and another £55 for the belt and tensioners

zee20

Member +
Never Been changed peeps dunno what to do? Scared to even drive my car and hardly have any money left

zee20

Member +
car was imported in 2008 and it had 100km on the clock and not been changed since been in the uk, should be ok still scared to even take it out of the drive

h3ppy

Member +
i decided to change mine just because i was doin the turbo and the belt was completely knackered! 3 teeth were missin and it would have snapped any minute! the history of the car says it had another 10000miles till i think bout changin it, so just shows you!

if YOU dont no or are even the slightest bit unsure i would get it done!:)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
thats bollocks these engines arent non interferance!!

if the belt breaks it will go bang, it should be change at 60,000 miles or 8 years i believe, so change it asap.

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive done 2 of my starlets now. need to get the other one done sometime soon.

only hard bits i found when doing it is getting the new belt on easily as it tends to be really tight. then getting that top cover on takes a bit of trickery. once you work it out its easy though :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
thats bollocks these engines arent non interferance!!

if the belt breaks it will go bang, it should be change at 60,000 miles or 8 years i believe, so change it asap.

everyone seems to have differing ideas on this. i dont know myself.

anyone have any concrete evidence either way????

Shaun1

Fresh Recruit
If it does break the likely hood is that damage would be caused to the internals of the engine, If you've got a starlet and not a galanza then you could be over or near the age threshold as well. In my opinion, it is better to spend the comparitivly small ammount of a timing belt change compared to the cost of having to rebuild your engine.

Its better to be safe than sorry.

zee20

Member +
If it does break the likely hood is that damage would be caused to the internals of the engine, If you've got a starlet and not a galanza then you could be over or near the age threshold as well. In my opinion, it is better to spend the comparitivly small ammount of a timing belt change compared to the cost of having to rebuild your engine.

your right mate, just got a price from local lads, £60 for fitting a timing belt

dac69er

Super Moderator
your right mate, just got a price from local lads, £60 for fitting a timing belt

thats not bad. i would change the idle and tensioner pulley if you can. new new GT had very npoisy bearings. you could here it in the car and it sounded really rough.

if you get it all done then you can pretty much forget about it.