Declaring Modifications

Jay

Admin
When insuring your vehicle what mods should you declare?

According to many EVERYTHING should be declared, right down to those lightweight wheel nuts. It's time we discussed the consequences of not covering your modifications.

The majority of us modify our cars, so please give us your thoughts on the issue.

jamesbaa

Member +
a collegue of mine had a heavily modified subaru (400HP), he didnt declair any off his mods, he then crashed the car into a ditch, ones the insurence company discovered ths they then slapped a hugh excess ontop of his claim, not sure how much thou!!!

Matt_Seicentos

Member +
I had a m8 who had a modified VTS, Exhaust, Wheels, decat, manifold etc.... so lots of engine/soundsystem and exterior mods done to it, he wrote it off the other day without mods declared and the insurance company said nothing about it and payed out the full amount that both parties agreed the car was worth!

It seems it can be a bit hit and miss.

EP82

Member +
Would rather be safe than sorry, im making sure my TD04 goes on the insurance even if it does cost me loads more!

TRD

Member +
Honesty is the best policy to keep your insurance policy!

Declare everything. I did on my ep82. Its better to have that piece of mind as you are driving around.

Gee

Member +
Sometimes they dont even send assessors out too.

Not sure under what circumstances.

Ofcourse we should declare all mods...I've tried. They don't know F all, its so annoying. For example..rear strut brace...engine damper..I was asked if they add any power, then when my mod list had come through, they did not even add them. Maybe because they did not add power, not sure.

I wouldnt declare a forged engine thou, dont think they would go to extremes of examining the inside of the block.

ragz

Member +
only matters if it adds power

when i told adrian flux i got an ecu they wudnt quote me

Adam_Glanza

Member +
just say u bought the car and you dont have a clue about cars.. you didnt no it had a bigger turbo and ecu only strange wheels and a big exhaust which scares grannys :eek::( :D

59bhp

Member +
Its so ridiculous, they do expect us to declare all modifications but 99% if the time its as if your speaking greek to them. Also if the modifications are not on the list on their computer god help you. I have spoke to hundreds of nsurance companies ringing round like most of you and only ever found 1 which was a rather attractive sounding lady surprisingly. Also if your speaking to a call centre in india they havent even heard of a blow off valve so it makes the whole experiance rather trying.

A freind of mine worked as a mechanic for a rally time running a full group a impreza. One of the other lads was using a normal uk spec road going impreza for a runabout and wrote it off. They dragged it back to the workshop so the insurance could come and asses the damage. This person couldnt tell the difference between a group a rally car and a normal uk impreza.

Ive spoke to a few people who havent declared there mods, wrote it off and the insurance just hasnt bother paying for the mods or just agreed a price on what the modifications were worth. Sods law states though that as soon as one of us do it, well get royally boned.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Do you know what IRRITATES me the most about insurance companies.

They expect us to declare ALL our modifications then state 'In the event of an accident if your car is repairable we will only repair it to the standard spec'

Well to me thats Bullsh** at the end of the day declaring mods to a certain extent is fair enough but i draw the line when they say we cant insure you if you have the REAR windows tinted !

lanxter

Member +
i know a lad with a crosa spent shed loads of money on it, glitter paint full body kit, leather interior the full works a taxi pulled out on him he smashed into it made a real mess of the car. he hadnt declaired anothing and they paid out and didnt say anything

Gee

Member +
i know a lad with a crosa spent shed loads of money on it, glitter paint full body kit, leather interior the full works a taxi pulled out on him he smashed into it made a real mess of the car. he hadnt declaired anothing and they paid out and didnt say anything

Well I guess unless they come out to have a look at the car, they are not to know its modded.

Probably thought it was not worth it due to the amount the car was valued at in stock form? As the mods were not declared after all.

Idrees

Banned
I think that if I delcare all the mods on my car, either I will not get insured or the insurance will be very high. Hence why I would like to keep the engine as stock as possible, and get the stock mid pipe fitted to quieten it down!

Anybody think thats risky? It will only look like a stock Glanza after all, and I'm pretty sure that the insurance won't know the visual looks between a SR and a Glanza? I could be wrong.

Gee

Member +
I think that if I delcare all the mods on my car, either I will not get insured or the insurance will be very high. Hence why I would like to keep the engine as stock as possible, and get the stock mid pipe fitted to quieten it down!

Anybody think thats risky? It will only look like a stock Glanza after all, and I'm pretty sure that the insurance won't know the visual looks between a SR and a Glanza? I could be wrong.

I Starlet SR is a UK spec car thou...I'm sure they will be able to tell the bonnet vent is not standard and that will only make them investigate more. Just advise them of a replica bodykit...shouldnt go up that much.

Idrees

Banned
Hmm yeah, I'll give it a go. Cheapest I've got so far is £2600 odd on the car standard! My third party policy with my mum as a named driver!

Gee

Member +
Its hard in the beginning.

I paid £1,700 TPTF on a 1.1 Fiesta when I first started driving. Got 4 years no claims now. Always best to start your own policy.

Somhairle

Lifer
speaking from personal experiance,

declare everything, it only takes one full on policeman to pull you over and start asking questions....

and before you know it, your getting the bus....

MJA

Member +
Ouch! Yeah I need my own policy to build up some NCB so I can have a Turbo at the age of 19/20

you won't have to wait that long. i got my EP82 at 18, insurance was 1200

my wheels are declared on my policy, and the rest will be declared when i renew it in november