Any previous hilux owners?

whiteglanzav

Member +
I have been looking to get a truck recently too all those 3 look to be decent for age/mileage i would sway toward the last one or 2nd one.

i know tht in the more recent models the hilux is the priciest out of l200/navara etc,

but for the ones above for the extras they have i dont think you could go far wrong !

wee-jo

Member +
Yeah mate I'm swayed by the 2nd one as its fairly standard, although I have heard that the cylinder heads tend to go on them, and its a fair distance to travel to go see a dog and leave with nothing.

whiteglanzav

Member +
yer i see what your saying i think they tend to get a bit over exhasperated after 130k,

most people tend to get put off when engines are nearing a hundred thou - but he says he has a lot of paper work - so if it been looked after then thers no reason it shouldnt carry on going strong - it is a diesel lol

only thing is it has no MOT

my dad once travelled 150 miles to see a car that was described as mint and when he go there as he drove up to it he saw it was a dog and just turned straight round lol

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Try and get the 3.0TD if you can, much better engine :)

2.4 suffer from headgasket failure and in some cases the heads crack!

We run a surf... awesome truck :)

Mike Jones
Tuning Developments Ltd

wee-jo

Member +
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I read about the 2.4's with the heads going, just trying to find a 3litre is a bit of a nightmare atm, I'll keep looking though, cheers for your input.

andy.i

Member +
get a real hilux, not a surf ;) i used to have a mk3 2.4d. thing was an absolute beast, never broke down and i ran it on 90% veggie oil, cheap as chips. go on hpoc, there is loadsa advice n such on there

scot-ish

Member +
dont go for a flat, go for TD, the flat isshite slow, nae power.

2.4 as said, suffer head problems, and are like rovers with HG once they get to 100k.

when i used to work down south thats all we used, had 7 keepers and we all had them, and the two years i was there, we never had a breakdown.

i would probably avoid a surf, but there so cheap now in comparison to a twin or king cab of the same age.

the first one is orite, but auto box's are troublesome, plus side has some recaro's that fit into a gt lol.

J25GTi

Lifer
I don't see how you figure once a rover gets to 100k its hg fails?

Once the headgasket has been done on a rover it is just as reliable as any other car.

There isn't a set mileage for a hgf, and alright rovers have a problem with hgf, but once its done then it won't bother you again!

Obviously I have no experience with the hiluxs though!

dont go for a flat, go for TD, the flat isshite slow, nae power.

2.4 as said, suffer head problems, and are like rovers with HG once they get to 100k.

when i used to work down south thats all we used, had 7 keepers and we all had them, and the two years i was there, we never had a breakdown.

i would probably avoid a surf, but there so cheap now in comparison to a twin or king cab of the same age.

the first one is orite, but auto box's are troublesome, plus side has some recaro's that fit into a gt lol.

scot-ish

Member +
sorryi t came accross wrongly, i meant once a hilux gets to 100k it becomes a bit like a rover, meaning, your just expecting the HG to go pretty soon, as do rover owners, pretty much from the factory.

and as you said, if a HG is done properly, bearing in mind, a hilux is a work horse, and some1 is less likely to have the block decked, and head skimmed, aswell as payin for the other parts, when it can be done cheaply, so from that point, i suppose it would be expectant to fail again.

but as said, we had 7 or so for over 2 years, and they all done 30k plus a year, alot of that in rough terrain, and carrying a ton and half of feed, and apart from a service every 8k, we never touched the engines on any of them.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
from previuous experince with rovers, an rover engines the hg, has normally gone around the 30k too 40k mark iv found an my local garage did say too expect it around that time an they was right. an thats 3 diffrent cars it happened too. not all mine but between mine an some friends.

as for the hilux mate, you wont be dissapointed there great trucks. i had one for 6 months an did over 100,000 miles in it, i was runnin car parts for citreon as a favour for a friend from uk too france. an all i did was service every 10,000. if i was too get a truck that would be my choice

chrisinflight

Fresh Recruit
I`ve owned the 2.0 litre petrol hilux pick-up, a 2.4 td surf and the awesome 3.0 litre turbo surf. The 2.0 litre petrol was a quiet reliable sewing machine engine- thanks to the push-rod valves I think. The 2.4 surf was a bit sluggish and yes, they do suffer head problems during a certain period due to a design flaw in the head. Most other cases of big diesel imports doing heads are due to poor coolant system maintenance. I owned the 3.0 KZN130 for 4 years and can proudly say it`s a fantastic efficient, powerful engine. using the same CT9 turbo it is tunable for gains on the standard 125bhp. Also has ECT button, overdrive etc on the auto. Easy 25mpg.
Any questions please ask as I re-built the entire suspension and used to hang out the hilux-surf forum alot.
cheers.
chris

wesgt

Lifer
I`ve owned the 2.0 litre petrol hilux pick-up, a 2.4 td surf and the awesome 3.0 litre turbo surf. The 2.0 litre petrol was a quiet reliable sewing machine engine- thanks to the push-rod valves I think. The 2.4 surf was a bit sluggish and yes, they do suffer head problems during a certain period due to a design flaw in the head. Most other cases of big diesel imports doing heads are due to poor coolant system maintenance. I owned the 3.0 KZN130 for 4 years and can proudly say it`s a fantastic efficient, powerful engine. using the same CT9 turbo it is tunable for gains on the standard 125bhp. Also has ECT button, overdrive etc on the auto. Easy 25mpg.
Any questions please ask as I re-built the entire suspension and used to hang out the hilux-surf forum alot.
cheers.
chris

i've a 2.2td jap camry and was told they have a ct9 also, what can you do to up the power a bit?!

dac69er

Super Moderator
my mates dad has a jap import non turbo on an H reg. never serviced it and uses it every day. has almost 200,000miles on the clock and its still going. just a little bit of rust on the drivers door where he hit it on a post.

andy.i

Member +
you dont buy a hilux for speed tho do you? mine had neraly 200,000 and the gearbox was still just as tight and drank no oil etc.

that lifted one is rediciulous, prob hit 40mph topped out :p

wesgt

Lifer
you dont buy a hilux for speed tho do you? mine had neraly 200,000 and the gearbox was still just as tight and drank no oil etc.

that lifted one is rediciulous, prob hit 40mph topped out :p

i wouldn't even care :haha: i had a lifted pickup before, the amount of attention you get in them is mad!

chrisinflight

Fresh Recruit
i've a 2.2td jap camry and was told they have a ct9 also, what can you do to up the power a bit?!

I`m no turbo expert but i guess the same things peeps do on here.
That being fuel chips, intercoolers (the 2nd gen. surf hasn`t got one), bigger exhausts, air induction, a 20p washer-mod on the waste-gate? amongst other things.
cheers,
chris