Monumental PAS leak :(

After fitting a new head gasket i then fired the car up and it started after a few cranks, ideling at 2k revs i assume this is because it has been in bits an when it heats up should calm down. I didnt have the chance to let it head up as power steering fluid started gushing out from like behind the pump and running over the oil filter and down to the ground, have no idea why it is doing this because it was fine when i took it off , really gutted to be honest

Any ideas what it could be ? I checked the big screw to make sure it was lined up with the holes inside the pipe, could it be the double washer ? The pump itself ? Or maby even the pulley ?

Cheers for the help !

weeJohn

Lifer
Its unlikely it will be coming from the pump itself, check the connection with the double washer and the hose itself. You can replace the double washer with 2 copper compression washers from a motor factors, just take the bolt with you to get the right size.

Ye mate its in there pretty tight im thinkin it could be cummin from the head because the top of the oil filter is soaked and the dipstick is dry only refilled it withoul yest and ran it in the drive for a combined time of about 2/3 mins But what is throwing me is the power steering bottle is drained even though it refilled that yesterday aswell

I couldnt have seated the head gasket wrong could i ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Did you actually remove the PAS pump or did you just unbolt it from it's bracket and pull it out the way?

I took it right off mate

So stumped think im gonna have to sell cant afford it anymore im absoloutly gutted can u see a tiny bit of the headgasket above the 4e mark ?incase iv seated it wrong

Texx

Super Moderator
The headgasket locates on the dowels on the block, so it's unlikely you've installed the gasket incorrectly.

Clean all the oil off with some brake/parts cleaner and then run the engine until you can see fluid leaking, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the source if the leak is as bad as you say.

The PAS system will need to be bled of air, turn the steering from lock to lock a good 20 to 30 times and top up the fluid level if necessary.

It was like a mug was poured over the filter mate can i run the car with the pas pump to see if its oil cumming out the head ? I cant see where its cummin from coz of the pump

Thanks again for ur time man

Texx

Super Moderator
Yeah, remove the belt, unbolt the PAS pump and pull it out the way. Only run the engine for a couple of minutes from cold though.

Well the belt an pump are off atm to see if i could see but i didnt want to start it so aslong as the pumps off the car and the belts out should be ok for a minute ? Think its worth takin a vid ?

Texx

Super Moderator
Yes, it'll be OK to run it for a couple of minutes. Photos and a video may be of some use.

right lads just ran it there with no pas pump and seen an absoloute monsoon of oil coming from above the oil filter, my guesses is that the head has been overskimmed ive torqued the head down correctly and in sequence with new headbolts all the surfaces were cleaned up and everything else your meant to do has been done....to say im gutted is an understatement ...im no mechanic by anymeans but i done it by the book as of how it says in the manual and this has happened, feel really sad to say im going to have to leave the starlet scene and break the car, i just cant justify spending the money on it anymore as i just cant afford it at this time, need something cheap and reliable just have to run around in my daily every day untill i have the money to get a more enjoyable car and begin another project such a shame aswell because i absoloutley love my starlet

see for yourself.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLBhlTh8P2g&feature=youtu.be

rage

Lifer
holy mother... that is one hell of an oil leak.
how is that possible? that is no question of a small skimming error or something.
there is something terribly wrong with it. either construction error, massive crack or something.

in no rage only thing is it never done this before i changed it it was placed down on soft stuff like jumpers/sweaters so it wasnt lyeing on anything hard etc

i really think its game over :(

rage

Lifer
there should be something missing, broken or just not fitted right. might be a small thing you overlooked.

rage

Lifer
possible to take a few good pictures of the location she leaks?
the film was a lil hard to determine the exact problem, though it was very clean the leak is massive