AE86 or GT86

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Tough one... Can I say both? Still love the older JDM stuff, and I always grin at the site of an old Hachi-Roku going past, but a GT86 drove past me the other day and my neck nearly snapped off as I followed it...

carmen

Member +
Thats a really tough choice but I think the GT86 wins it for me after seeing it i the flesh. But I do love the old skool JDM

azerty

Supermoderator
I would go for the gt86 if it comes in GT300 form :p

[video=youtube;3LjYl7VfFKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjYl7VfFKE[/video]

Arnold

Lifer
I saw the TRD GT86 the other day and it looked amazing. Had a really girly pathetic horn though! Otherwise i'd take a standard AE86 over a normal GT86

Has anyone in this thread driven either car? Have you ever driven an ae86 to its limits I'd doubt it? I also doubt you've driven a gt86 so a bit early deciding which to pick imo.The ae86 is an iconic car the gt 86 has HUGE boots to fill maybe this question should be asked in another decade lol. The gt 86 is a wee bit girly too but look well slammed with nice rims also fit a rocket bunny kit nice wheels and get rid of the lexus lights your on a winner.

Last edited:

Arnold

Lifer
Toyota-GT-86-TRD-right-rear-1-1024x640.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
^^ yummy! ^^

I have seen a very of the scion variants on the roads in the US and they are starting to grow on me.

I have to admit though that just from an aesthetic point of view they dont have the character of the ae86.

200BlownHorses

Fresh Recruit
Goin on just aesthetics as ive not driven either, id have to say a well stanced ae86 over the standard gt. Ive not seen a gt86 on the road yet tho, may be a different story in the metal.

triple j

Member +
AE86 all the way, there is a lot of rust buckets around but the ones that are rust free are getting very expensive.

Texx

Super Moderator
If I could walk into a showroom tomorrow and buy either a brand new AE86 or GT86, I wouldn't even give the GT86 a second glance. IMO the 16v 4A-GE is one of the best engines ever made and if I wanted a car with a Subaru engine in it, I'd buy a Subaru. Obviously a brand new AE86 isn't an option so as a daily driver the GT86 would make more sense, but even still I'd rather spend good money on a tidy original AE86 to use as a weekend toy and drive something cheap and boring everyday.

I've driven a few GT86's although not out on the open road and I'll probably sound like an old fart saying so, but they just don't make them like they used to.

ep82morzy

Member +
I work at a Toyota garage.in my opinion the gt86 is rubbish...il let you into a bit of a secret,the engine is that quiet and the exhausts
Are quiet that there is a air pipe coming off the intake that is directed and ends up behind the dashboard do that it feels and sounds alot more sporty....I was very disappointed when I took it out for a test drive,acceleration is not great but I imagine the top speed will be ok! Give me
An ae86 any day...the new gt86 is all show no go

V-Turbo

Fresh Recruit
Definitely AE86... I just prefer the old skool jap cars. And after Initial D, it just makes ya want one even more. :p

gv1.3

Admin
good point.

If you are looking for comfort and/or performance there are far cheaper cars that will deliver above and beyond. But you know there are people out there who get so fascinated by the idea of owning a car that price becomes less of an issue for them (my Glanza cost me 11,500 euro *puke*)
neither, both are good cars but with one common problem, the price...

Jay

Admin
GT86

I'm shite with RWD so when I do eventually do something bloody stupid I'd prefer all the crash bars, airbags and safety features I can get.