Technical books

Texx

Super Moderator
I'm not the sort of person you'd often find with their head stuck between the pages of a book, most books to me are just an ornament sitting on a shelf or a paperweight to stop things blowing away in the wind. However just recently for some unknown reason I've bought several books from Amazon with regards to engine tuning. A couple of books in particular that I would highly recommend to anyone wanting a more in depth take on tuning an engine are 'Four-Stroke Performance Tuning' and 'Forced Induction Performance Tuning' by A. Graham Bell. Both of these books are full of invaluable information and written in such a way that even some of the most complex topics can be understood without too much difficulty.

I'm sure I'm not the only sad fucker out there with several of these types of books, which got me wondering which other books of this nature do other people own. Whether it be engine tuning, engine management, suspension tuning etc... which books do you own and are there any you would recommend?

Jay

Admin
Original 1990 JDM workshop manual. In japanese. I go on the diagrams and make up the rest lol.. Actually much more useful that you'd imagine!

The tuning book I have is on loan from the CCM library. I really should give it back as it's about two years overdue.

goldenvtr

Member +
ive got one called "engine blueprinting", only skimmed over it when i built my 5e few years back, but damn does it have some great info!

who needs a book nowadays when theres google lol

my bookcase is just full of initial D and deathnote manga books/dvds lol

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Recently started getting back into it myself also.

I have this one: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) by Jeff Hartman. Its full of fantastic knowledge but its more so aimed towards the American car market than any as most of the tuning experiences are all your Chevvy's etc.

AdamB

Member +
I have the books Texx mentioned,
Other books in my collection include:

Engine builders handbook- Tom Monroe ( Good book describes how to strip down, and rebuild an engine, even includes blueprinting and would recommened even ti broaden your knowledge)

How to tune and modify engine management systems - Jeff Hartment ( An ok book, although doesn't delve much into actual programming, just what is done to modify stock ECU's and how its done, still a good read but not something I read page to page)

How to build, modify and power tune cylinder heads - Peter Burgess & David Gollan (This is by far the best book I have, and I could read it over and over, goes into real depth of what tools to use to modify your cylinder head, port sizing, port shape, combustion chamber shape, where to port. I could not put this book down, the information is invaluable and would high recommend this book to anyone, whether your new to tuning, a DIY builder or experienced this book is an amazing read. )

weeJohn

Lifer
I have one of the books Texx listed, Mr. Bell explains things well.

They are a little dated those books but the principle is still the same, very good knowledge base and having the book is easier to take into the garage.