Oil light/cut out?

JDubz

Member +
I have asked this question here before but still couldn't resolve the issue.

The problem has been happening for some time now and it's starting to really *&^% me off!

What happens is ill come to a set of lights and my car idle will drop a little say around 400rpm (usually ides around 900rpm, what is a good idle rate anyways? As my car shakes a little at this idle rate) and when this happens the oil light will come on for a seconds then the revs pick back up and oil light goes away.

Now if i have given the car even just a little bit of a boost instead of the revs picking back up the revs will just start to drop all the way to 0 while the oil light on the car comes on and the car then just cuts off (all the lights on the dashboard light up) now this only happens when i give it a bit of a boost. The car starts back up without a problem but it's annoying when your car cuts out at every set of lights!

Can anyone shed any light on this situation please?

weeJohn

Lifer
The oil light is coming on because the revs drop to 400rpm, the oil pump is not turning fast enough to keep the pressure up. Look into idle problems on this site, use the search button at the top right of the page and advance search this forum.

JDubz

Member +
Yes i have hosed down the engine a couple of times? Cant remember if the problem was happening before or after this tho. Will do some searching on idle issues aswell.

Bobbyrogers

Fresh Recruit
The oil light is coming on because the revs drop to 400rpm, the oil pump is not turning fast enough to keep the pressure up. Look into idle problems on this peimar lighting site, use the search button at the top right of the page and advance search this forum.

There is defect in your oil pump.

Last edited:

jackkelly

Member +
As said, car is idling too low and is about to cut out. revs drop below 400 rpm and oil pump isn't building up enough pressure. Start the car leave it warm up and go to the intake manifold, there's a rubber bung on the top right of this, take that off and get a flathead screwdriver, turn it til the car idles just under 1000 rpm and it should sort it.