TB Developments - EP91 (daily drive)

1132344-1.jpg

1132344-2.jpg

1999 Starlet Glanza
38,008 Miles on the clock

came with KYB Specials suspension alround
Blitz Turbotimer
"Aftermarket" exhaust (rattling and driving me nuts)
Buddyclub P1 Alloys

The cars really tidy for a 10 year old car, only down points are alot of rattles and squeeks, i'm slowing working my way through them, ordered a few bits from toyota to fix the couple of bits missing, one being the parcel shielf, which without it is making the rear hatch rattle, and the front grill was missing. (no idea why and no accident damage) anyway ordered those.

what you guys think.

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

tb4.jpg

tb5.jpg

While on the search for a few tuning goodies i found this in japan so snapped it up. Its a rare blitz Cast iron downpipe. the goal of this car is to do things once as its an everyday car so i can't have parts breaking like downpipes and stainless downpipes are prone for cracking (very much like the mr2 ones used to be, possible future product :) ) but until i make those i boguht this as its built like a tank and no way in hell of falling apart. Its 2.25" through out and same diameter so all the benifits of the stainless downpipes but none of the draw backs

DSCN2961.jpg

I've been shopping around and bought a few little goodies, a few rare bits and bobs and some JDM things. Firstly was the Flair, there quite rare to see them still fitted so i had a spare so fitted that
DSCN2968.jpg

I also got a TRD gearknob to replace the cheap plastic thing that it came imported with, Once i get some time i'm going to fit a small washer to just under the knob so the gaitor gets sandwiched between that and the knob as i don't like how the gaitor just slips up and down the shifter as standard.
DSCN2965.jpg

Another little mod which is apprently quite rare is the factory option arm rest and storage bin, looks a little afterthought buts its quite comfortable having the arm rest in there, the materials a little faided but i'll retrim that when i do the new front seats anyway to match
DSCN2969.jpg

DSCN2970.jpg

Lastly was something i knocked up last week while i was at my fabricators while i was sitting around waiting for him to finish jobs, i took the HKS bov off my old mr2 and just made up the fitting kit and a small fitting for the breather to fit into the stock position (normally bolts to the factory bov and both vent into the intake pipe)
DSCN2964.jpg

My blitz airfilter arrived from japan today, unfortunatly the blitz nurspec i also ordered was the wrong one, just the backbox and not the full system so theres going to be a battle getting my money back :( Anyway airfilter sorted. throttle responce in a little better but more importantly it doesn't feel like it suffercates as much topend.
before
DSCN2971.jpg

After
DSCN2972.jpg

I also had another suprise come through the post today, it was like christmas :)

DSCN2974.jpg

DSCN2976.jpg

The wheel nuts were bugging me as most of the nickle had fell off and just looked rough so gone with some nice new anodized blue ones to match the blue wheel logos plus its very JDM :D

DSCN2980.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

I also fitted my new MOMO Tuner steering wheel as that standard boat wheel was driving me nuts, next will be to get a new carpet (fix the years of no matt abuse by the drive) and finish the dash centre panel and fit the radio.

DSCN2982.jpg

not much of an update this week, i found a spare few mins so got my old radio in from the mr2 as it was getting annoying not having any music to listen to, while i was fitting that i also upgraded the 2 front (only 2) speakers as the old ones were prietty damaged and basically dead
DSCN2984.jpg

i've fitted the blitz nurspec system, really helped with the breathing at topend, it doesn't feel so strangled now near redline. really nice system ) i went for the full system back to the cat. Only downside is it really shows up where the previous owner had bodged the rear bumper to get the previous exhaust in, so now i'm on the look out for a new rear bumper, or the addition lip spoiler to match the front one
DSCN2986.jpg

DSCN2987.jpg

I also fitted my stereo from my old mr2 into the car, i was getting so bored just driving around with no music to listen to, this is just a temporary thing as i really want to sink it back into the dash a little more so the screen is flush with the panel, but that will come in time
DSCN2988.jpg

I also fitted my Blitz DSBC, its just being used as a fancy boost gauge at the moment until i get the new turbo on there and then connect up the solenoid. One of my pet hates is that aftermarket stuff is just thrown on the dash where ever, i like to keep things factory looking so i got another centre panel and made this up. I think its come out really well and retains the factory look. and it lights up green as well so matches everything.
DSCN2989.jpg

DSCN2990.jpg

did a few more little mods this week.

firstly was the Whiteline adjustable panard rod. Just need to get the ARB's and antilift kit fitted now and i'll get it all 4 wheel lazer alligned. :) Add a bit more negative camber on the front as well.
DSCN2992.jpg

DSCN2993.jpg

DSCN2994.jpg

I also had this back from being rebuild :) Yep a brand new Blitz K1-200v Turbocharger. the only bits that were retained were the blitz compressor wheel and housing yet referbed, everything else has been replaced for brand new, even the exhaust housing is brand new and internally ported and polished to give the best possible gas velocity through the housing and wastegate. Its had all brand new seals and bearings, also a brand new CT12 shaft and turbine orignally used on the K1 turbo :)
DSCN2999.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

DSCN3005.jpg

DSCN3006.jpg

DSCN3000.jpg

DSCN3001.jpg

right been a while but thought i would update my build thread.

since i bought the car the front bumper has been rattling about because i didn't have the front grill inplace, no idea where it went but wasn't on the car when i bought it. So i bought a brand new one from toyota, and also made myself a nice polished cooling panel, shame it was dirty when i took the pics lol
DSCN3035.jpg

I upgraded my front speakers a few months ago and although good were very flat, didn't carry any bass at all so i treated myself to a bit of a subwoofer upgrade. But my goals with this car weren't to add lots of weight, and didn't want to have speakers in the parcel shielf or subs in the boot so i went with one of these. Its a very small and lightweight, powered subwoofer from pioneer to match the front speakers, I've bolted it under the passenger seat, so its unseen and only taking up un-used space. I also sound deadened the floor to make it a professional installation. As for its performance i was shocked for such a small and compact unit, its only rated at 150watt, my whole sound system only comprises of stock sized pioneer 50watt front speakers and this little powered sub and its more than enough for me and i would say all but the biggest bass heads. On full blast there isn't any digital distorsion from any of the speakers, or speaker distorsion but enough to bounce the skin on the roof lol
DSCN3042.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3040.jpg

while i've been searching for some rare jems in japan i found a good condition 3 point rear brace for cheap so i bought that, only down side is that the centre "starlet" panel is scuffed but i have bought a new piece from toyota which will be here shortly. but for now
DSCN3032.jpg

I also tweeked the coolant system slightly with a nice Blitz 1.3bar radiator cap to go with my blitz trend
DSCN3037.jpg

I also found some time in the workshop to upgrade my front ARB to the whiteline kit i purchased last month some time, Unfortunatly i was provided the wrong type, the double bush type instead of the rose joint type from the ep91, after finding out all types would fit its just different drop links i found it easier to just uprate the front droplinks as well instead of returning the ARB for an exchange and keeping the stock droplinks. Anyway pictures of the ARB to follow but i have the droplinks
DSCN3028.jpg

And best of all, for all those people who said i would never find one and i was wasting my time and should give up, A BRAND SPANKING NEW JAM RACING EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!!!
DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

i also took a few parts i had on the shielf for the mr2 project and retrofitted them into this one.

First was the racelogic traction control i look off my old mr2 (now being broken for parts), this was a great bit of kit on the mr2 and i'm hoping it will cure all power understeer with the 200bhp, but not only that i stripped the board and found it very easy to add the flat shift and launch control feature for free, so i'm going to do that. i think the little glanza with launch control will be interesting
DSCN3048.jpg

The other was my Water/Methanol Injection Kit, i used this on my mr2 to great effect, with a 90% methanol mix spraying from 10psi onwards i was able to add another 3 degree of ignition advance when mapping which resulted in 25bhp, this was on a 2.0ltr engine at 1.2bar of boost pressure. i don't exspect to see the same increase but an increase neather the less. I also find running the methanol is a great safety margin as its more stable and consistant than normal fuel
DSCN3051.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

And my fueling Upgrades started with a walbro 255ltr/hr fuel pump, i've been told its a little overkil for my goal but i'm a walbro dealer so seemed rude not to replace the 10year old fuel pump with a nice new item
DSCN3050.jpg

and finally the SX fuel Pressure Regulator, these are an on the shielf item and are alcohol approved if i ever want to run racefuel, or methanol enriched fuel without the seals inside failing
I also plan to dead head the fuel rail, for people who don't know what this means, its running the fuel through the fuel pressure regulator before the rail and bleeding off pressure that way, over going through the rail/injectors then to the regulator and back to the tank. Its just much cleaner install and usually keeps fuel in the rail colder and at a higher octain compared to a constant circulating system
DSCN3057.jpg

been very busy in the workshop so haven't had chance to update this recently but i've been collecting parts like mad. Despite not wanting to go to coilovers the rear shocks started leaking and the springs sagged causing horrible knocking so i ended up getting coilovers anyway. Now there fitted i'm glad i did. There MeisterR and i've been very impressed. There on the softest setting at the moment to bed them in and there actually softer than the KYB's i removed. Much better on the road and a nicer ride all round.

suspension4.jpg

suspension5.jpg

suspension2.jpg

suspension3.jpg

suspension6.jpg

suspension.jpg

Also today i managed to fit my Turbo kit, This comprised of a Jam Racing Manifold, Blitz Cast Downpipe, and Blitz K1 Turbo, i had all the cast items ceramic coated as well which has helped with underbonnet temperatures. The blitz actuator had seen better days so i made my own from a 0.7bar garrett actuator. I'm only running 0.8bar at the moment on stock ecu and intercooler, performance has increased a little, but nothing amazing. Hopfully it'll be better once i get the power fc mapped and 1bar of boost pressure. Exhaust Volume has definitly stepped up a notch and the exhaust note has changed from a muffled growl to full raw on full throttle

turbo2.jpg

turbo.jpg

turbo3.jpg

turbo4.jpg

turbo5.jpg

I've also noticed it took a while to get upto temperature, once its there its rock solid and doesn't overheat which i suspected would be the thermostate, seals broken or ripped. replaced that today and found the seal dislocated so now i've replaced it with the new one its much faster to get upto temp.
thermo2.jpg

thermo.jpg

Tim
TB Developments

Last edited:
jeez forgot how long its been since i update this thread.

anyway here goes

Fitted a Factory LSD Gearbox, before this went on i did a complete gearbox rebuild with all new synchros and support bearings, feels like brand new now :) also overhauled the driveshafts with new CV joints and gaitors. Also fitted a new rear engine mount as the one supplied looked abit overworked. While the gearbox was off i fitted a fidanza flywheel and exedy stage 2 clutch i believe it is, alone with my own brand brass shifter bushes.

DSCN3377.jpg

DSCN3376.jpg

DSCN3375.jpg

DSCN3374.jpg

DSCN3373.jpg

DSCN3371.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

DSCN3357.jpg

while i had it in the workshop i wanted to make the methanol injection tank but didn't want to loose any boot space, plus there wasn't really anywhere i could mount it upfront. i think this came out really well in the end. only took 26-27 pieces if i remember correctly lol
DSCN3765-1.jpg

Week later i purchased a full set of WMS brake calipers and uprated disks, been very happy with the kit. Before fitting i repainted the calipers to match the rest of the color scheme. Only thing to note is that they were very noisy at first even when the pedal wasn't being pushed. I found out with a slight modification to a set of MR2 rear caliper pad springs i could fit them to the WMS calipers which pushed the pads off the disk when not in use, now perfectly silent, apologies for the pics as i didn't take any when new, i'll get some better ones next time the wheels are off.
DSCN3844.jpg

unfortunately that ebay tv radio broke, figured it would eventually so bought this. Was fairly cheap but also the thing i like it comes with almost unlimited color options on the display and buttons so i could get it to match the factory interior. It also has DAB built in :)
DSCN3842.jpg

the rear lip finally arrived from japan, i did look everywhere in the uk but couldn't find one. Just need to get it painted but i think it'll finish the car off nicely
DSCN3431.jpg

DSCN3429.jpg

a few months back i wanted to uprate the cooling of the glanza so i bought this, made a little difference to cooling but boost did come on stronger and faster after i fitted it.

DSCN3849.jpg

Also i figured seeing this is a bit of a rolling road car demo for my business it was about time i added some company graphics to it. Went for these as i wanted something very subtle so didn't look chavy to people not in the know, plus its location was a play on the factory fitted glanza graphics.

DSCN3852.jpg

well as the weather started to heat up i found the ARC just wasn't good enough for a good blast, on the stock IAT sensor temps would seem to be OK but after fitting a fast response iat sensor i was getting over 70 degree's after 5 gears of WOT driving, not good at all.

so i bought what i felt was a bargain, £350 for a full jam racing intercooler kit. i'd been looking for one of these ever since i bought the glanza so snapped this one when it came up. I was told there was some fin damage but it was just surface and didn't effect the intercooler, i saw a pic and said ok. paid the money and it arrived. Well when it got here, not only was the core twisted it was on the lean as well by 10mm. i could have lived with that but i did a pressure test to make sure and it was pissing air out of the core in the (surface area only) dents. lost quite abit of pressure. I told the guy in question and basically called me a lier and said i would get "fuck all back from me" tried asking for help on the tggt forum but got very little help, just removed my sales feedback from his thread. and because he insisted on a gift through paypal i had no coverage. Total scum bag!!!!

anyway rant over i had to repair this so i can fit it to my car, so i contacted one of my motorsport contacts and he put me in touch with a company that does radiators and intercoolers for the likes of the WRC teams and single seat racers like F3 and F1. for £295 he supplied me with a core only replacement (basically means just the fins bit) so i had to re-weld the brackets and the end tanks on from the JAM kit. but the bonus is they had my own JAM core, they temporary plugged the leaks and did a flow test. The replacement item is an extruded aluminum unit, tube and fin unit. it has the same 9 row internal structure but provided 25% more flow and 40% more cooling over the original JAM core. So although its not authentic 100% jam anymore its a much better improvement. so a TBDev revised JAM racing intercooler kit lol Can't wait to get it all in and working. Just need to get some time free at the workshop as I'm removing the aircon, relocating the filter to the front with some nice fabrication bits and bobs, and remaking the HOT ic pipe as i'm clocking the K1 to point downwards to make the boost flow about 12" shorter and a much cleaner looking setup.

DSCN3847.jpg

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg

Tim
TB Developments

been to long since i updated this. so here goes.

cars still been running fine, never let me down once. just been tweeking the setup and a few service items.

Main thing was the clutch, the exedy basically fell apart on me the rivits all came loose on the friction plate and was making a hell of a noise, done a few mr2's with the same clutches recently and they've all done the same as well, so feel its a common failure. I replaced it with a toyota friction plate as the exedy was nothing special, and re-used the exedy heavy duty pressure plate. runs much better now with just as much grab :)

the other job i finally got round to doing was fitting the front mount intercooler kit and moving the blitz filter to the front bumper, its currently at 1bar but going to 1.2bar soon with the remap and the bigger injectors. i'll probably leave the car there and just keep it maintained as it now spins through 1-3rd anyway so fast enough for a little daily drive.

The front mount filter kit i wanted to do something a bit different so hard mounted it over just silicone and cable ties. i did a test fit and found i got alot of boost creep with the air hitting the side of the filter and acting like a ram air effect. so i put a divide inside hte filter so that it still pulled in cold air but didn't get forced down over 100mph. i know its technically not ram air but it was making the filter over efficient and the wastegate even through ported couldn't keep it below 1 bar.

i also redesigned the fittment slightly and remade the main support bar for the catch so the intercooler could sit back futher. it now fits without any bumper cutting needed what so ever, also the pipes that run under the bottom cross bar into the engine bay don't hang down, they are actually about 1/2" higher than the bottom of the bumper.

if your wandering why i have the front mount ic fitted and still running the topmount its because i'm going to be clocking the turbo and making my own ic pipes so rigged it like this for now until i have them made up.

Let me know what you think of my work. Oh the blue cap on the filter is a blanking plug thats there for a cam case breather attachment but i've not got that sorted just yet.

DSCN3907.jpg

DSCN3908.jpg

DSCN3909.jpg

DSCN3910.jpg

DSCN3911.jpg

DSCN3912.jpg

DSCN3913.jpg

DSCN3914.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3916.jpg

DSCN3917.jpg

DSCN3918.jpg

DSCN3919.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3921.jpg

DSCN3922.jpg

DSCN3923.jpg

DSCN3924.jpg

DSCN3925.jpg

Fro

Member +
A lot of decent work and thought went into this, some sweet custom parts too! Looks like a pretty sorted car. Loving that turbo kit, cant belive the parts youve scored there!!

thankyou guys,

its coming upto its 93,000mile mark and its never let me down once. running around 200bhp at 0.9bar, and still on the arc topmount. I've got a big list of things to do to it shortly but just workshop has kept me flat out. Its going into the bodyshop to have the rear lip painted and installed i've had for 2 years, a tiny rust spot has appeared on the bottom of the driver door where it clipped a low wall "doh" and a full mop to bring the paint back to perfect. When it comes back i'm going to do a complete overhaul on the running gear, gearbox back out to do 3rd syncro and check clutch wear, all 4 wheel bearings, ball joints and steering arms. New brake pads all round and disks if there needed.

Also got a perfect condition recaro interior to go into it that has been sat around for 2 years also, front seats when in but are starting to look a little tatty so while its off the road i'll send them in to have all the bolster foam replaced and everything steam cleaned before the material sags and rips. I'll give everything a good clean up and fit the interior.

I also need to finish up the front mount IC pipe work as that was something else that was F**k*d when i bought it from a forum member as "mint" so the cores fitted just not plumbed in. Once thats done i can throw in the 370cc injectors and remap it for 1.2bar where it'll stay.

Only time engine will be played with again then is if it fails at that power and i'll do rods, pistons and metal head gasket just for reliability reasons.

Tim

A lot of decent work and thought went into this, some sweet custom parts too! Looks like a pretty sorted car. Loving that turbo kit, cant belive the parts youve scored there!!

unfortunately there is alot of expense gone into this car as well to get all the rare parts that it has, most of which has had to be done twice as i've paid extra to have "mint parts" from forum members and have turned out to be useless so had to redo them all, IC for example the core was twisted, leaking and the pipe work modified for a different turbo so no longer JAM, the gearbox was meant to be "perfect" and was one of the worst examples i've ever stripped. All as usual with no comeback from there sellers :(

Tim

Blast from the past Tim.

I thought you didn't have this anymore

never gone anywhere buddy, me or the car. still plugging away in the background working towards trader status :)

car won't be going anywhere either as its my daily drive, i do alot of mines and 40mpg and around 200bhp is perfect, plus keeps the miles off the soup with its amazing 23mpg lol

Tim

don't know about that, needs a good wash its filthy at the moment and needs a bit of a clean up inside, just to busy to get 5 mins to give it the attention it deserves at the moment :(

Tim

Fro

Member +
unfortunately there is alot of expense gone into this car as well to get all the rare parts that it has, most of which has had to be done twice as i've paid extra to have "mint parts" from forum members and have turned out to be useless so had to redo them all, IC for example the core was twisted, leaking and the pipe work modified for a different turbo so no longer JAM, the gearbox was meant to be "perfect" and was one of the worst examples i've ever stripped. All as usual with no comeback from there sellers :(

Tim

I can only imagine the expense of those parts! Especially when you see the price of some of those parts second hand that have been well used!! Thats a real shitter about the jam intercooler cause that looked like a nice piece. Ive found that out too, some peoples description of "mint" couldnt be further from my own! But its the chance we take unfortunately!