why are starlet GT's so cheap to insure?

dac69er

Super Moderator
just looking about getting a few quotes on confused.com and i think a GT is quite possibly the cheapest car i can find to insure!!!!!

can anyone explain why this is?

all things being equal a GT is £150 to insure for a year. a glanza is about £380, most other quickish cars are around the £350 mark.

tried going for a different older turbo hatch, an uno turbo, and that was £280.

i tried a cinquecento sporting, and that was £250.

i cannot understand. how is a GT less of a risk than a 1.1 with a whole 55bhp???
i even stuck a few modifications on for good measure and that made all of £5 difference!?!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Your just a old folk who getts cheap insuance!

that is true, i was 29 on thursday :(

but i still cant get over the price difference. it doesnt make sense that a 1.1 litre is £100 more to insure than an imported 1.3 turbo with mods???

Smokey

Fresh Recruit
What sorta value did you put on either?

I had a 14k 2.0 focus insured fully comp for 900 and to go to a 1.3 shitbox civic it went to 1800 and they told me the value was makin the difference not the risk! A 14k car was less likely to have a door fall off and me claim than a 1500 quid shitvic! So I tried them with an sir at 6.5k and it was 700!

Just sayin its a factor but might not be so in your case tho!

dac69er

Super Moderator
What sorta value did you put on either?

I had a 14k 2.0 focus insured fully comp for 900 and to go to a 1.3 shitbox civic it went to 1800 and they told me the value was makin the difference not the risk! A 14k car was less likely to have a door fall off and me claim than a 1500 quid shitvic! So I tried them with an sir at 6.5k and it was 700!

Just sayin its a factor but might not be so in your case tho!

i put every car at £1500 value to try and keep things as equal as possible. all the cars i got quotes on could be bought for around that price. literally just changed the car and refreshed the quote.

davehart

Member +
I'm the same m8, GT insurance is well under the £200 mark :) I could insure two of those to one of my Celicas :)

Paul_JJ

Member +
I wouldn't discuss this in public, even more erase this thread. Believe me if they (insurance workers) will see this thread and get more info about the car - the cost of the insurance will rocket!!! I'm a Glanza owner so it doesn't concern me as much, but I must admit the Glanza is way overpriced in terms of Insurance costs, I'm 30 (never claimed anything) and £500 a year was the cheapest I could find and Dac is saying that GT is just £200....... I probably should get a GT and save some cash on insurance, also being reliable cars I'm not fancy the GT bodywork and prefer the Glanza V.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I wouldn't discuss this in public, even more erase this thread. Believe me if they (insurance workers) will see this thread and get more info about the car - the cost of the insurance will rocket!!! I'm a Glanza owner so it doesn't concern me as much, but I must admit the Glanza is way overpriced in terms of Insurance costs, I'm 30 (never claimed anything) and £500 a year was the cheapest I could find and Dac is saying that GT is just £200....... I probably should get a GT and save some cash on insurance, also being reliable cars I'm not fancy the GT bodywork and prefer the Glanza V.

insurance companies base all their prices on figures. come off it, they cant just bump the prices up because of what someone said on a forum.
im sure they have plenty of info on the car, they wouldn't insure people not knowing what the car is.

EP91_Chris

Member +
I don't have a clue how the work out insurance prices. About a year and a half ago I was looking into buying a civic and phoned Flux for a quote. Baring in mind this was an old school civic, think it was an '86 1.5 or 1.6 can't remember, but it was £450 cheaper than my n/a. Couldn't get my head round it.

Barnz74

Fresh Recruit
I don't know how you guys get on cheap prices, but I've just had a renewal notice from Admiral for Multicar - my 91 MR2 rev1 n/a and my 93 EP82, both imports, both auto, and it came out at £916. that's more than £250........ mind you I am diabetic, I have 3rs NCB (down from 5 >>) I have had one fault claim back in Jan 2013 for £1100. Boooooger!!
Can Sky beat this I wonder? :confused: .com

rage

Lifer
the dealers did sell the ep80 as a GT model in the netherlands. it had a specific option package that made it a "GT" including rev meter, front swaybar and otherwise "stripped" interior. but the GT turbo's were never sold as left hand drives thus were a total unknown car in the netherlands. even my dealer didn't believe me when i said i had a starlet GT turbo. they just didn't exist.... right.. shows what they know.

on the insurance side of things. driver age, value of the car and general accident/theft data decides the insurance price the most.

still think you lot pay waaaay too much for insurance in the UK though :) i pay 320 euro's a year for a all risk taxed coverage for my gt turbo

5e colin

Member +
the dealers did sell the ep80 as a GT model in the netherlands. it had a specific option package that made it a "GT" including rev meter, front swaybar and otherwise "stripped" interior. but the GT turbo's were never sold as left hand drives thus were a total unknown car in the netherlands. even my dealer didn't believe me when i said i had a starlet GT turbo. they just didn't exist.... right.. shows what they know.

on the insurance side of things. driver age, value of the car and general accident/theft data decides the insurance price the most.

still think you lot pay waaaay too much for insurance in the UK though :) i pay 320 euro's a year for a all risk taxed coverage for my gt turbo

^^^^^ thanks

skyinsurance

Member +
I don't know how you guys get on cheap prices, but I've just had a renewal notice from Admiral for Multicar - my 91 MR2 rev1 n/a and my 93 EP82, both imports, both auto, and it came out at £916. that's more than £250........ mind you I am diabetic, I have 3rs NCB (down from 5 >>) I have had one fault claim back in Jan 2013 for £1100. Boooooger!!
Can Sky beat this I wonder? :confused: .com

I don't know enough about your risk to say yes or no but feel free to call us on tel: 01707 642552