why are starlet GT's so cheap to insure?

turbo cookie

Fresh Recruit
yay

looking good for me then. wanted to get a gt, and at 20-21 years(when i buy one) i will be interested to see what the price difference will be form the glanza.

Paul_JJ

Member +
the dealers did sell the ep80 as a GT model in the netherlands. it had a specific option package that made it a "GT" including rev meter, front swaybar and otherwise "stripped" interior. but the GT turbo's were never sold as left hand drives thus were a total unknown car in the netherlands. even my dealer didn't believe me when i said i had a starlet GT turbo. they just didn't exist.... right.. shows what they know.

on the insurance side of things. driver age, value of the car and general accident/theft data decides the insurance price the most.

still think you lot pay waaaay too much for insurance in the UK though :) i pay 320 euro's a year for a all risk taxed coverage for my gt turbo

You need to advise local insurance companies that the charge too much!!! There are loads of insurance scum in the UK when many insurance companies make the money out of nothing and it's completely legal! I was lucky to find £525 a year with http://www.livingstones-insurance.co.uk/

and the Sky Insurance who I was insured before quoted me over £700!!!! - 30 years, 6 years no claims - Glanza!

What I've learned from the experience is that if you change your insurance company every year it would be cheaper than staying with the same company.
And regarding this thread I still think it was a bad idea to start it in the first place, the cost of the insurance is a complete joke, sometime it's cheaper to insure 2L BMW then a 1.2L Corsa - that makes no bloody sense to me at all, no logic whatsoever!

dac69er

Super Moderator
You need to advise local insurance companies that the charge too much!!! There are loads of insurance scum in the UK when many insurance companies make the money out of nothing and it's completely legal! I was lucky to find £525 a year with http://www.livingstones-insurance.co.uk/

and the Sky Insurance who I was insured before quoted me over £700!!!! - 30 years, 6 years no claims - Glanza!

What I've learned from the experience is that if you change your insurance company every year it would be cheaper than staying with the same company.
And regarding this thread I still think it was a bad idea to start it in the first place, the cost of the insurance is a complete joke, sometime it's cheaper to insure 2L BMW then a 1.2L Corsa - that makes no bloody sense to me at all, no logic whatsoever!

i have been with adrian flux the whole time i have had my GT's. other than for 1 year, i went with elephant as they had a cheaper deal on my near stock runabout GT. they have been consistently cheaper that their competitors.

why do people think this thread is a bad idea? insurance is money for old rope, but they base their prices on figures, not what a few people say on a forum site.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yeah but those figures have no sense, it's just a stupid computer program where is someone put the data into it, like accidents, etc... and there is formula to "advice" the premium - it's not exactly accurate though as everyone is an individual and simply because someone else the same age with the same car had an accident in the past it doesn't mean that that person will have the accident as well. Insurance - is a lottery, everything is so random - like the weather conditions or the roads and traffic in the area - I bet that is not included in their database, or wait - WINTER TYRES - most of the people never heard of them in the England - so another words for the insurance company there is no difference if you have winter tyres like Toyo or Falken with 8mm thread for example or 1.7MM road legal summer Kenda or some other Chinese cheap stuff!

How can you explain that for example Germany with their NO SPEED LIMIT motorways has less accidents then the UK??? AND cheaper insurance premiums??? Also I bet they have more cars on the roads then the UK does, bigger population and a lot more transit cars! Oh and they have more snow/ice in the Winter than the UK does - so that should mean that the amount of accidents will be higher!

How can you explain that for example Germany with their NO SPEED LIMIT motorways has less accidents then the UK??? AND cheaper insurance premiums??? Also I bet they have more cars on the roads then the UK does, bigger population and a lot more transit cars! Oh and they have more snow/ice in the Winter than the UK does - so that should mean that the amount of accidents will be higher!

Germans are better drivers obviously and better educated when it comes to driving the standard is much higher there.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it seems random, but it is not random. you say someone inputs figures into a computer program and it produces a figure, therefore there is some kind of equation, so it is not random.

i fully agree with what you say, everyone is different, but unfortunately the easiest way to do it is to tar everyone with the same brush, the majority rules. if your 17 and ring up an insurance company to insure a 1000bhp supra, you may have been driving cars since you were 5 and have the driving skills of a top race driver, but the insurance company wont know that so the risk has to be calculated in some way ie, they wont insure you!

britain is one of the most (if not THE most) traffic congested country in the world. not only are there more cars on the roads, the roads themselves tend to be smaller.

if you look at figures relating to the causes of road traffic accidents, only a small percentage is actually related to speeding, its just an easy target for the government to prey on. most road traffic accidents are related to driver/rider error.

britain is a shambles when it comes to snow and lots of people are complete retards when it comes to driving in it, but that is another issue entirely.

dac69er

Super Moderator
confused.com dont insure anything. but a lot of the companies they compare do. i do find that as most are mainstream insurers they only insure the cars with minimal mods.