Good work fighting the spam

Phil

Super Moderator
clearly some mods doing alot to fight the spam:slap::slap::slap::slap::slap: nice to see the crap not lying on the forum for long :)

Good work.
:cool::cool:

Phil

Jay

Admin
Some footage of Duncan in action earlier :

OpiAt.gif

dac69er

Super Moderator
On a more serious note. Can we not do anything to reduce the spam?. It's getting more and more all the time. Pretty much every morning a couple of new spammers have joined up :'(

EP91_Chris

Member +
Seen some this morning.

can you trace the IP address of the spammers and block incoming connections for that IP range?

59bhp

Member +
im seeing this more and more on forums, its the fact they are human that usually causes issues,

with spambots you just put up a simple question that foils them but when is done manually its hard to prevent,

dac69er

Super Moderator
Seen some this morning.

can you trace the IP address of the spammers and block incoming connections for that IP range?

when you block a spammer it does tell you the IP address, but as its not always the same its hard to pinpoint. blocking a range of IP's may work in theory, but it could block potential members from joining if their IP happens to be within the disallowed range. its unlikely, but could still happen

EP91_Chris

Member +
Can the IP not be traced through the admin panel? Or accounts need to be verified by admin with emails that aren't the standard hotmail, aol etc.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I think the best way is to put the waiting time for the registration and ask a few car related question before the registration. Mods can PM me for more details regarding how to trace and avoid being traced, don't want to type public as they can read it as well -)

Gryzor

Admin
I think it would block alot of spam if we don't allow any links to be posted if the user has under 50 posts.

Jay

Admin
Just catching up on this over lunch..

For the last few weeks I've been manually vetting new user registrations. This pretty much just involves ticking yay or nay after checking the IP address out. I've certainly noticed a reduction in spam posts so it seems to be working fine. Things are nice and quiet nowadays so a daily check of new users so easy to handle.

Obviously I apologise to anyone in the likes of China with a Starlet Turbo looking help of course.

Jay

Jay

Admin
Just thought I'd update this one.

I switched us to manual account activation back in September. Today's batch of applications is the first one I've seen without any Chinese spammers in it. Not bad after 11 months!