Brakes

blob212

Fresh Recruit
Hi, im using ebc grooved discs, ultimate pads and braided brakelines and i've noticed that, although braking is very good most of the time, after driving the car hard for a short period of time (5-10mins) the brakes seem to overheat to the point where i nearly have no braking at all so i have to wait for them to cool down before driving hard again.

Im thinking of maybe changing the front pads to green stuff and changing the fluid but just thought id check with you guys to see if anyones had a similar experience and whether it could be a fault elsewhere.

The discs, pads and lines are all fairly new and as far as i can tell the calipers are in good working order

Also what brake fluid do you guys use?

any help would be very much appreciated, cheers

weeJohn

Lifer
Common problem, the discs dont dissipate heat very well and you get brake fade. Its a front brake upgrade you need, look into the Levin, ST165 or even the ST202 upgrades, or if your bank account can handle it, there is performance big brake kits available.

Search function is your friend here, top right of the page, or look through the technical section on brakes.

blob212

Fresh Recruit
Think i'm going to go for the ksport big brake kit, its going to take a while to get the money together but if the current brakes struggle to cope with the car now then they'll have no chance when its producing more power. thanks for the help

Guye

Lifer
Definitely try different pads. I have used hawk pads for years. They have been used by some local circuit racers to good effect. I personally tested a set after bedding them in by making 6 consecutive stops from 180kph without fade. Stock pads only managed 2...the second was a butt clinching experience. I am also using ebc discs, braided lines and dot5 fluid.

blob212

Fresh Recruit
Yeah think i will change the pads whilst i get the money together, think the brake fluid could make a big difference because i can't remember ever changing it. Might even be the original stuff

Paul_JJ

Member +
Definitely try different pads. I have used hawk pads for years. They have been used by some local circuit racers to good effect. I personally tested a set after bedding them in by making 6 consecutive stops from 180kph without fade. Stock pads only managed 2...the second was a butt clinching experience. I am also using ebc discs, braided lines and dot5 fluid.

I hope that you're NOT using dot 5 fluid as it's not compatible with our Starlets -) I suppose you use DOT 5.1 fluid -)

Guye

Lifer
I hope that you're NOT using dot 5 fluid as it's not compatible with our Starlets -) I suppose you use DOT 5.1 fluid -)

To be honest dot5 or 5.1 I cannot be certain. I changed it over 5 years ago and it's still going so whatever it is it seems to be compatible.

Paul_JJ

Member +
To be honest dot5 or 5.1 I cannot be certain. I changed it over 5 years ago and it's still going so whatever it is it seems to be compatible.

There is a huge difference between those 2, if you put DOT 5 in a starlet - you'll be left without your brakes overtime - last thing you want is not to have any brakes at all while on boost! I suppose you put 5.1 - whoever named it 5.1 is an idiot -) should've been 6 or something else.

I use Toyota original 5.1 brake fluid - very good one!

Guye

Lifer
There is a huge difference between those 2, if you put DOT 5 in a starlet - you'll be left without your brakes overtime - last thing you want is not to have any brakes at all while on boost! I suppose you put 5.1 - whoever named it 5.1 is an idiot -) should've been 6 or something else.

I use Toyota original 5.1 brake fluid - very good one!

Agreed. It must be 5.1 in my car. It was just so long ago since it was done lol. All I remembered was the 5.