Brand new glanza owner. Silly mistake advice needed.

Brainaudio

Fresh Recruit
Hi all really new to the glanza scene need to get some advice on what may of happened to my engine. Topped it up with oil. Oil cap never got put back on. Went on a long drive and ended pulling over as my water temperature went into the red and the copius amount of oil all over the car.

Engine management light has also. Came on. Im assuming ithats what the light means.. Cars been on a recovery truck to the garage. But im trying to guage what damage might of been caused

Wish my first post could of been a bit more happy friendly and im sorry if this may pf already been covered but im really worried ive already ruined it. Thanks a bunch for a any help in advance. Ryan

bongskag

Member +
did the red oil light come on ? or just the engine management light ?
what was the oil level on the dipstick after you pulled up? there must have been at least some oil left in there

just take is somewhere that knows about turbo engines or decent tuner , not kwick fit etc..

Jay

Admin
Welcome to TGTT mate, sorry to hear of the dramas.

1. Check your oil level, if she has run very low on oil you may have internal engine damage (very bad).
2. Check your coolant level, if the system has lost coolant top it up asap. A 4EFTE can usually withstand a short period of overheating but if it's been cooked you may have headgasket issues. Keep a close level for coolant loss by monitoring it over a few hundred miles.
3. Check your fault memory for codes. This should explain why the lamp has come on. Hard to comment too much further without a code to go on.

It's possible they could all just be due to the oil spillage - if the oil cap isn't there the alternator belt will get plastered in oil which could make the belt slip/come off. If the belt isn't turning the waterpump the engine will overheat and if isn't turning the alternator pulley you will get a warning light or two on the dash cluster.

Let us know how you get on sure.

Fingers crossed,

Jay

stedee

Member +
sorry to hear this. i would love to call you a dingbat but tbh easily done. i did something nearly as bad which i`m not going to mention lol.

the bad news is though it sounds like your engine is fubar just on the temp going into the red, i hope i`m wrong. imo i would just get an engine

dark_knight

Member +
if you didn't run too long with the temp in the red then there's still some hope. like Jay said, run diagnostics and let's see what codes were thrown. all the best mate, and sorry about that. don't feel too bad. i once left the dip stick out and went on a short drive. i remembered about half a click later, turned around and went back for it.. :D remembering to keep my revs very low and all along keeping the engine off load because i didn't want to build any crankcase pressure.. :)

Brainaudio

Fresh Recruit
Garage just phoned up and said i have a snapped belt... I assume this is for the waterpump. also assuming a 4ete belt will be a direct replacement. cant wait to get my baby back on the road and start looking for some shiny bits to put on it!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Pretty lucky there.

Keep an eye on the coolant for a while to make sure your not loosing any.

If the garage didnt do it already, check all fluid levels and top up accordingly.

The 4EFTE engine is a pretty strong old dog.

Let us all know how you get on :)

Oh and welcome :)

Jay

Admin
Yeah, the alternator belt drives the waterpump too so if it snaps/comes off the engine will overheat. They can suffer a short period of overheating so keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few weeks in case of issues.

Jay