BLOWN ENGINE...Thanks for helping me out (read more inside)

Phil

Super Moderator
Well guys as some will have noticed, id be building and tidying a GT for a while now.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?107657-EP82-GT-CCM-Demo-TAKE-2

But on tuesday night just past... i finally got the engine running some proper boost and the rattley forged lump finally gave way.

So first up im near ready to split the car up into parts.... But just out of interest i asked if browner can help me out.

Browner is someone who i heard of back a few years when spuddy mentioned the number of starlets and parts that pass through his hands. we are talking maybe 5 years ago? back in Spuddy/vs/animalgt times, just before the PukkaPerformance debacle.

anyways considering ive never met Conor and have only threatened to buy parts of him in the past, he still came to an arrangement that suits me now and in a week or two will meet his needs also.

very happy to have asked him and very glad he is going beyond the norm to sort me out.

so that's some PISTONS sorted.

Then i need some headbolts, happened across Abbie in the UKSO forsale section, free postage and boom sorted. Many thanks.

Then HOOKIE who is local ish to me is making me a deal on crank/block/head etc Have to go down and see him and have a look at what he might have for me, but its great to have proper starlet heads about who actually want to help a guy out.

Even _shaun_ has offered me some parts that could have been a help to me.

Over the years, Jay Chris Ted Weejohn and others have helped me out big style, (and many times they still do) but its very nice to see that the good will stretches out beyond these pillars of the starlet community. Many thanks to you all.

So far im getting closer and closer to getting this engine back together.

I still need

Forged rods
Bearings OEM or ACL hopefully stock sizes!
Engine gasket kit (or most of one?)
valve stem oil seals/crankshaft sealsx2 would maybe do.
is there other seals i really need to replace?

anyone with any of the above or some gaskets kicking about the place please make me aware.

Phil

Last edited:

nistarbo

Member +
Fair play. Good to see there are always decent people hanging around.
I have no parts lying around but if getting the hands dirty is any sort of help il do it. Or il pick up parts for you or something. Get this car on the road finally!

Pete EP82

Member +
Glad to hear your not packin it in Phil...tidy GT you have there. Should be impressive when it's finished.

Pete

Phil

Super Moderator
Glad to hear your not packin it in Phil...tidy GT you have there. Should be impressive when it's finished.

Pete

thanks pete :)

dropping your cams to the courier shortly :)

and engine is coming out tonight hopefully.

Phil

weeJohn

Lifer
I have a set of Pauter forged rods from my last engine, never raced or rallied lol. They are on the crank I had the mains reground on and attached to Ross pistons.

triple j

Member +
What way did the engine go Phil who built it ?, i here of forged engines going full time the only thing it can be puy down to is a bad build in the first place.

Phil

Super Moderator
I have a set of Pauter forged rods from my last engine, never raced or rallied lol. They are on the crank I had the mains reground on and attached to Ross pistons.

cheers john, send me a pm with some details, is the crank/rods/bearings still together? or needing new big end bearings?

ive got some 75mm forged pistons here and im HOPING to salvage the rods out of my engine but if its a whole crock of scrap ill be very interested.

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
What way did the engine go Phil who built it ?, i here of forged engines going full time the only thing it can be puy down to is a bad build in the first place.

It wouldnt be hard to find our who built it from my previous threads, so ill just tell you it was ECC.

But it was there car at the time, its was thrown together and maybe just had 74mm pistons stuck in without machine work, poor tolerances in piston/wall clearance.

I wouldnt expect them to stand over it, when i bought it, it was piston slapping cold warm whatever so no great surprise.

still got to get it apart to really know what has let go exactly, i wont speculate on that front ive got my fingers crossed to tight for that Lol

Phil

Last edited:

ryan_v

Lifer
I've got pauter rods and wiesco pistons out of my engine. I've also got acl some acl bearings and oem valve stem oil seals that your after. Gimme a bell if you want them.

triple j

Member +
It wouldnt be hard to find our who built it from my previous threads, so ill just tell you it was ECC.

But it was there car at the time, its was thrown together and maybe just had 74mm pistons stuck in without machine work, poor tolerances in piston/wall clearance.

I would expect them to stand over it, when i bought it, it was piston slapping cold warm whatever so no great surprise.

still got to get it apart to really know what has let go exactly, i wont speculate on that front ive got my fingers crossed to tight for that Lol

Phil
Well your doing the right thing by giving it a rebuild, am sure u will have a sweet running engine by the time u finish, if the bottom end is bad u can always rely on a good old low mileage 4efe for a hundred odd quid.

Phil

Super Moderator
5efe on gumtree for 100quid... in the north too, was tempted for five minutes lol

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
I've got pauter rods and wiesco pistons out of my engine. I've also got acl some acl bearings and oem valve stem oil seals that your after. Gimme a bell if you want them.

what size are the acl bearings?

stock or oversized?

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
well pulled the engine out on friday and dropped it to my mates today for a look and then strip.

some pics of the process

engine in ^^

engine out ^^

And the problem piston, blown clean through...

bit off head scratching to be done with this one im afraid.

This is the final solution

hopefully it works out

Phil

Last edited:

Skalabala

Member +
Hope you are getting your injectors tested from now on :)
What head gasket are you going with with those -10cc pistons?

Phil

Super Moderator
Hope you are getting your injectors tested from now on :)
What head gasket are you going with with those -10cc pistons?

tried measuring them and with a bit of guesswork (surface friction) id surmise there is 7cc dish in them.

headgasket wise still undecided.

If i dont put much gasket in there ill need to run good fuel all the time to make good power.

just cant bring myself to pay 100+ on a headgasket.

Phil

sx_turbo

Lifer
put a thin 5efe 0.8mm gasket in there, there cheap, will bring the compression up, will give you better driveability, and providing the tuning is done ok, you could run upto 1.8bar boost quite safely.

obviously downside is you should really use the super unleaded all the time

what brand pistons are they?

or clean up the old gasket, and smear in well seal be good to go again then

Last edited:
genuine toyota head gaskets work fine----i stress oem/genuine
depending on the compression you are after you have a few choices too between 4efte and 5efe oem head gaskets