Hand Controls for Disabled Drivers

kalp

Fresh Recruit
Hello,

Hoping to get info on hand controls for my Startlet GT Auto, and find out if there are any other members here that have adaptions and what kind of set up you have to drive their beloved vehicles.

Nearly three years ago I had spinal surgery which left me as a paraplegic, it wasn't until August 2013 that I started driving, I couldn't get them done on the GT as when I started driving I was heavily reliant on taking my wheelchair wherever I went to, there was no way wheelchair and zimmer frame would have fitted in the car.

Mobility wise I have ditched the chair, now walking with crutches and ready to fit hand controls on my car, still cant use pedals as unable to do an emergency brake, so not prepared to take the risk using pedals and compromise mine and other peoples safety.

I have made enquiries for the starlet, and with it being an import they have told me it would be a custom job, they have a catalogue for all UK vehicles and can order the correct application to be fitted.

Could anyone tell me if any UK starlet steering column set up is the same as the GT? it could make it cheaper for me if the same.

I've had 2 UK vehicles adapted, I've paid the same price to get them fitted also, and would assume a custom setup would cost a lot more.

thanks in advance to your replies.

Kalp

dark_knight

Member +
Sorry to hear about your story. I'm sure it can be done. Get a few options from local fabricators. I'm sure something can be put together.

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you can get a setup for a UK starlet, then i am sure you could get it slightly adjusted to fit a GT.

its the same as soon as 'import' is mentioned. most places just stick a premium on, even if there is no difference between its UK equivalent.

do you have any examples/pictures of the type of hand control setup you have on your current cars?

kalp

Fresh Recruit
if you can get a setup for a UK starlet, then i am sure you could get it slightly adjusted to fit a GT.

its the same as soon as 'import' is mentioned. most places just stick a premium on, even if there is no difference between its UK equivalent.

do you have any examples/pictures of the type of hand control setup you have on your current cars?

i will take some pics and post them up on here, but its literally a lever behind the steering wheel, pushing up to the steering wheel to accelerate, and push down to brake. the rods are connected to the top of the pedals so that the car can be driven by able bodied drivers.

without sounding dumb, is there a specific way to post pics

thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
best bet is to upload pictures onto photobucket or a similar site, then just post the links on here.

weeJohn

Lifer
It has been done before, here in Ireland. Here mods are carried out under contract from the government, if they are prepared to do it, it must not be to difficult.

kalp

Fresh Recruit
Finally managed to get some pictures of the hand controls, as all the cars are auto, the best (& cheapest) option is the push and pull hand controls.

- Push & Pull lever position behind the steering wheel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoap5vp7awuq2q0/20140919_164449.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgfd2lavylscrz9/20140919_164501.jpg?dl=0

- Rod position above brake & accelerator, so can still be driven by able bodied drivers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4vo3819r17d6cp/20140919_163845.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/naat75tyuzbjxyz/20140919_163821.jpg?dl=0

- Lever position, seems like here is a pivot fixing for the lever, and a threaded rod fixed into the steering column for total stability.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fceon1emzalr4io/20140919_164007.jpg?dl=0

There was a kit available but is now obsolete, but they can do one using universal parts at the same price of the other two cars I've had done.

I do have a bit of a dilemma now though, I sat in the car and as I’m 6’2 my knee will be in the way of the lever.

Any ideas how I can make the seat go back further, I would assume new seat runners to be fabricated, your suggestions will be appreciated, not driven the car for nearly three years now and missing petrol turbo power

Would it be better to start another thread on the “BODY” sub forum about the drivers seat?

Thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
that doesnt look too bad to adapt to any car. just a bit of cutting of the panel underneath the steering wheel and the column surround.
I can understand why you want to drive something decent as your other car is a kia ;)

if you need to move the seat back, you could cut the feet off and fabricate a frame to bring the seat back, but you wouldnt be able to move it back too much otherwise it could prove to be dangerous. how far back would you be looking to move it from its furthest point as it is?

you can start a new thread if you like. you should get enough info from people in this thread though :)

kalp

Fresh Recruit
that doesnt look too bad to adapt to any car. just a bit of cutting of the panel underneath the steering wheel and the column surround.
I can understand why you want to drive something decent as your other car is a kia ;)

if you need to move the seat back, you could cut the feet off and fabricate a frame to bring the seat back, but you wouldnt be able to move it back too much otherwise it could prove to be dangerous. how far back would you be looking to move it from its furthest point as it is?

you can start a new thread if you like. you should get enough info from people in this thread though :)

The Kia is my dads car, I don't need my wheelchair anymore, and it's useful when I meet up with my old inmates from the spinal unit especially those whose mode of transport is in wheelchairs, easier for me to pick them up and go places.

My main car keeps getting TWOC by my little brother, so that why I want to get the GT done also.

I'd say I need at least 2/3 inches further back to get the clearance in need.

not sure what you mean by not putting the seat too far back for it to be dangerous

dac69er

Super Moderator
the seat has 4 mounting points to the floor. if you position the seat too far back then the weight on the seat will be too much out of balance and cause excess stress on the mounting points. 2-3 inches wouldnt be a problem.