Tax disc changes

dac69er

Super Moderator
the no tax disc thing is fine with me, i can understand that. but it not being transferable i do not like. just makes things more awkward, especially if you are buying privately. its another thing you have to mess around with at time of purchase.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yeah I hate that too. The most annoying thing is lets say if you sell your car on the 1st of November you'll only get your refund from the 1st of December - you loose the whole month as they count it monthly and you must let them know before the beginning of the month. Now imagine a million cars being sold a year or probably even more - and even if that's £10 a month - each (most likely a lot more) - that's already £10 MLN profits for the DVLA...

This tax must be scrapped all together and they could only leave it for posh cars - like £50K plus and increase it to £5k a year!

Jay

Admin
Highly sceptical on this.

They are saving a reported 10 million on admin then making god knows how many million by double-charging a month on each a private car sale in the UK. Guess we should know better by now, car owners are just easy prey for taking money off.

Even better, if you buy a used car and there is even a day's delay in getting the tax sorted they will probably try to prosecute (despite the fact they will get two months worth of tax that month).

dac69er

Super Moderator
why not put the tax on petrol and scrap the road tax as a separate entity entirely. that why when my car sits in the garage most of the year and does about 100 miles im not paying the same as someone doing 20000 miles a year.

so many fairer ways of doing it, but as usual the making the most money way usually wins and its dressed up as saving the planet by chopping down less trees for tax discs and our roads will be safer as the people who dont give a crap will be scared to drive cars with no tax. what bollocks!

Jay

Admin
Well I suppose for the price of a spare set of plates I could drive another black gt lol..

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

Paul_JJ

Member +
why not put the tax on petrol and scrap the road tax as a separate entity entirely. that why when my car sits in the garage most of the year and does about 100 miles im not paying the same as someone doing 20000 miles a year.

so many fairer ways of doing it, but as usual the making the most money way usually wins and its dressed up as saving the planet by chopping down less trees for tax discs and our roads will be safer as the people who dont give a crap will be scared to drive cars with no tax. what bollocks!

Well, it's already enforced... The ACTUAL cost of petrol is less than 10p, then about 50% of the current petrol cost is the TAX + you pay 20% VAT on top of that TAX - this is TAX on TAX and the rest is the profits of the oil company and the local supermarket. Increasing the cost of petrol would result to a less tax payments as people will try to save on petrol/buy more economical cars, use public transport etc...

For example cost of petrol in Russia is less than 50p per Litre and that's expensive compared to lets say Iraq where 1 tonne of crude oil can be purchased for about 4 US Dollars...
Oh and the actual cost of the LPG is even lower - it's about 3p per litre...

The fair way I see is to tax the vehicle acording to it's CURRENT value - and provide tax free for those vehicles under £5K, tax a little bit between the car value of 5k-10k and tax very heavy on the car over £50K - that is what I See a FAIR way to tax cars, however this will never happen as all the politicians drive over £50K cars...

dac69er

Super Moderator
i know we already pay tax on the fuel. they appear to relate car tax cost to the size of the engine and/or the emissions given out, therefore if i drive my car 2 days a year it will give out less emissions than a smaller engined 'greener' car that does 20,000 miles in a year. yet chances are they would pay less tax.

if it was an excess levied against fuel, the cars doing more mileage would pay more. i can see this as a fairer way of doing things. the value of the car has no real bearing on the emissions given out.