Engine - End Caps query

dac69er

Super Moderator
The problem with the main caps are that they seat with four surfaces.
When the cap sits loose on the vertical mating surfaces on the block then it can not be used.
If it sits tight or is to big you can carry on with machining.
The use of over size thrust washers may be compulsory if machining has been done to fit different caps.

re machining the caps would not affect the thrust bearing size

Skalabala

Member +
re machining the caps would not affect the thrust bearing size

Yes it does, when you use another cap the thrust washer seat of the cap will not be flush with the seat on the block.
You will need to remove material from the washer seat on the cap and the block. And then obvious an over size washer is needed then.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Yes it does, when you use another cap the thrust washer seat of the cap will not be flush with the seat on the block.
You will need to remove material from the washer seat on the cap and the block. And then obvious an over size washer is needed then.

Not if you were just line boring them. they won't necassarily need any machining on the thrust faces.

Phil

Super Moderator
Been a very useful thread

For me, I'm not 100% sure that these end caps are from this block.

So with that in mind and since I have the option of using my other block I'll just leave this to one side for now.

Phil

350ep70gr

Member +
If you are not sure for the caps you need line boring.At least you need some mesurments down there to be done. You may need line boring to an engine that has the oem caps but has many many miles or was tight with wrong torque settings or order.It is very critical to be right down there.Better mesure than sorry.

Chris