Ross pistons

gerard

Member +
any 1 have problems with ross pistons had new rings fitted to my pistons that were only a year old because car was burning oil, it has improved abit but still burning abit of oil,

exhaust valve guides and seals were done and the bores honed aswell,

who`s using ross pistons with no trouble as a daily driver,?

thanks ger

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you measure the ring gap before fitment? could also be that the bore is oval? if you just honed them it is a possibility.

gerard

Member +
I didnt fit them the tuner did an im sure he did, eh on the first fitment of the pistos bores were bored and honed, and on second fitment the bore was just honed??

gerard

Member +
Em ya there is millers running in oil in it, and iv given the engine heavy loads like goin up through the revs in the gears slowly,?

he did say for the driving i do the pistons properly not getting up to proper temperature as there more suited for racing,

i thought plenty of guys on here have used them with no problems??

dac69er

Super Moderator
how much oil are we talking? doesnt sound like you have finished running it in. you want to do lots of engine braking too, use varying rpm and loads.

maybe the oil consumption will improve with a decent normal oil in it!?

what do you get on a compression and or leakdown test? if you are only doing short journeys and they are specced more for a racing application it is true you will burn oil.

gerard

Member +
Em i suppose i top it up every week with about .2 of a litre was more than that at the start. im not sure what milage i have done but i have the clock put back so will check later when the gf gets back with the car,

ya im still running it in so hopefully will improve and i think i will go out dis evening and do some engine breaking,

there was no compression done,? what is a leakdown test?

its doing about 18km in the morning and the same in the evening,,

dac69er

Super Moderator
you need to get it nice and warmed through and take it for a good run. just doing little journeys wont run it in very well. you dont want to labour the engine all the time, just vary the revs and load as much as possible and use engine braking as much as you can as apposed to the brakes.

its pretty poor that the tuner gave you no info on running in the engine.

gerard

Member +
Ya he just said to drive it as normal, well the only thing he said when he took it for a spin to set up boost controller, was to give the engine loads thru the gears,,

il keep that in mind when driving the car,,

there is 400km done since engine was done,,

elison

Member +
Driving normal to bed in the rings is a big NO. You should vary the loads as much as possible so they expand as much as possible. You dont want to be sitting on a highway with a constant rpm. It just doesnt work like that. Give it some good pulls and some good engine braking. Ran my wossner setup in the hard way with 11 pounds of boost and engine is happy as it could be now. If it has to go miss it will go miss probally in the first run already.

weeJohn

Lifer
I run Ross pistons and they do expand a lot to fill the gaps when warmed up properly. Short runs wont do this so well, if you have only done 400KM over several weeks I dont think it is being driven very regularly.

I dont think the oil loss is significant for running in oil. Its designed to provide less protection than ordinary oil to allow a little wear for bedding in, so it will burn off as well. Dont be to gentle with it, increase the revs to close to max and let the engine run down from higher revs more to get the rings to settle as described above.

Skalabala

Member +
I run Ross pistons and they do expand a lot to fill the gaps when warmed up properly. Short runs wont do this so well, if you have only done 400KM over several weeks I dont think it is being driven very regularly.

I dont think the oil loss is significant for running in oil. Its designed to provide less protection than ordinary oil to allow a little wear for bedding in, so it will burn off as well. Dont be to gentle with it, increase the revs to close to max and let the engine run down from higher revs more to get the rings to settle as described above.

I second what Mr John said :)
But I drive the car on run in like I stole it.
Only after 1000km with decent oil you can start to decide if it is burning to much oil.

Some engines burn oil up to 10000km :(

gerard

Member +
Ya i have giving it hard drives before as i read up on running it in and i havent been gentle as i know it does need hard driving and all that, it just seems to be the same as it was before i got the engine done with 1700euro spent on it to get it redone, just hope it will improve over time,,

gerard

Member +
ya i ment to change that its more like 1000km as i ask did the gf put back the clock recently an she said she did, my fault doe i didnt tell her not to go near it,,

are you using ross pistons with no problems john??

gerard

Member +
ya its diff at 1000km now, and its burning oil after a weeks driving of about 150km, the oil would usually be about 5mm down from the max mark on the dipstick after this amount of driving each week,,

Skalabala

Member +
What oil are you using now?
Condition of turbo? And is the pcv working like it should?
And also the hone job must be of the correct specs.

Consider a compression test :)