Rod weights for 4efte piston

Rev

Member +
Does anyone have the stock 4efte or 5efte rod and pin weights?

I have seen a post saying 4efte EP91 Con Rod is 11g lighter than EP82 and so are the pins but no actual weights were given.
I was wondering how much lighter the stock rods would be than forged rods that are 420 grams.

Skalabala

Member +
Bud, I do not have the weights. But on the end of the day the crankshaft must get rebalanced with the new weight.

Rev

Member +
Interesting point going forged not as simple as it seems.
Without rebalance maybe forged pistons (74.5mm) could go on original GT rods to push the boost limits or is that not worth the trouble ?

Skalabala

Member +
I do not think it is worth it to go with forged pistons on standard rods. 250hp is a gamble.
However I do not have a lot of proof of how the rods break.
It could be as simple as fit ARP bolts to the standard rods and then go 300hp.
Just save up and get forged rods and pistons and a good engineer that understands the use of bob weights!

5e colin

Member +
Interesting point going forged not as simple as it seems.
Without rebalance maybe forged pistons (74.5mm) could go on original GT rods to push the boost limits or is that not worth the trouble ?

what pistons are you going to use on the gt rods ???? forgy pistons are floating and our conrods are press type !!!!

you dont need to rebalance the crank aslong as al 4 combos are same weight !!! and sticking to oem limiter as it seems its going to be budget build

Rev

Member +
@ skalabala The engine has leaking oil from seals and some oil from the breather plus uneven compression ( around 165 wet) so looking at doing pistons when fixing oil leaks ? 300hp would be sweet is there a light rod for this power.

@ Colin Budget was the idea with Wossner Pistons but from what you are saying they may not be compatible with the GT rods .
For now looking for 20psi at around 6800rpm currently 15psi.

5e colin

Member +
thats 1.3 bar im very sure GT rods can handle that at stock limiter i often cracked pistons but never 1 of my gt rods

if you do find pistons that will fit our rods let me know coz its the pistons that are the weakspot in our gt engines

also i would not go for the lighter rod ( v rods ) there like chinese copies ha ha they snap faaast

Skalabala

Member +
If there is a difference in rod,piston,ring combo vs OEM then the correct way is to have the crank balanced with the bob weights being the same weight as the new rod,piston,ring combo.

And as for piston pin compatibility, a simple ream of the small end fixes this. Or you can do it the more correct way and bore out to 19mm and fit bronze bushings and ream.