anyone taken apart/rebuilt their own gearbox???

dac69er

Super Moderator
i am attempting to replace the rear bearings in the gearbox whilst on the car. i have heard it is relatively simple.

i just wanted to confirm something before i continued as have never had a gearbox apart before :confused:

do i remove the top syncro hub and the bottom gear with a gear puller or is there another method i need to use? (i have already removed the nut for the bottom gear and the selector and clip on the syncrohub).

i cant see any other way of doing it, but wanted to confirm so i reduce the chance of breaking anything!

Jay

Admin
I used a gear puller to remove and replace 5th gear in a box around Xmas (never attempted anything like that before) so I'd guess you are on the right track. I took pics at the time but my memory is a bit hazy..

dac69er

Super Moderator
Had a go. The smaller gear came off as expected, no problem. I cannot get the synchro hub to move though.

I'm worried if I get it off it will never go back on.

Any tips, tricks or ideas?

Jay

Admin
I can remember that it took a fair amount of force to bring the synchro hub off the shaft, more than a couple of attempts as the pullers kept slipping. Ended up holding the legs together with a big jubilee clip so as it took the tension.

weeJohn

Lifer
I stripped one down before I took it away to scrap, just to see what it was like in there and see if I could get a bit more understanding of one. Still no real fucking idea how it all works lol, but now I know as well as pullers some parts need heat to be set free. Dont need a lot of heat if you heat them with the pressure on, a hand held butane torch like below did the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz...265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56638a6759

I was even more surprised when it completely obliterated the old bushes when we poly bushed our track car, it now has pride of place in our garage!

Jay

Admin
Totally agree Johnboy. Bought one the other week for a (failed) attempt on swapping ABS rings between discs - a healthy addition to the weapons cabinet!

giphy.gif

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like that will be my next port of call. im not too keen on using fire as the box is still on the car and fire + oil isnt a good idea. we have a paint stripping gun at work so will give that a try.

just hope i can actually get the bearings out once i have everything off.

will update on progress......

Rory

Lifer
I rebuilt my own box and it was a complete pain in the arse, said from that day on i would never do another toyota box...
You will need access to a press and pullers to remove and re-install gears/bearings etc

Honda gearboxes on the other hand are a piece of cake to rebuild!

Rory

dac69er

Super Moderator
I rebuilt my own box and it was a complete pain in the arse, said from that day on i would never do another toyota box...
You will need access to a press and pullers to remove and re-install gears/bearings etc

Honda gearboxes on the other hand are a piece of cake to rebuild!

Rory

ive got access to pullers and a press. if i had the box off, it would be a lot easier. im almost thinking i should just leave it and put it back together.

Rory

Lifer
Thats good, you will need them, and the box out if your going any deeper than what you see now.
In saying that you waont be changing syncros? Only the bearing? Which bearing is it?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Thats good, you will need them, and the box out if your going any deeper than what you see now.
In saying that you waont be changing syncros? Only the bearing? Which bearing is it?

its just the 2 back bearings behind the plate that you can see behind the gears. i will be honest, i dont think they are going to come out at all, which is why im tempted to just put it back together and forget it.

5e colin

Member +
them bearings arnt that hard to come out dont give up now

if they give any problems coming out that way then use self tappers and a slide hammer they fly out then

dac69er

Super Moderator
them bearings arnt that hard to come out dont give up now

if they give any problems coming out that way then use self tappers and a slide hammer they fly out then

i hope so. i just thought they would be pressed onto the shaft so wouldnt budge. but i could well be wrong of course.

will give it a go this weekend as it is mean to be nice and see how i get on. i now have a heat gun at the ready so it should have a bit more luck getting it apart this time.

5e colin

Member +
wont be to hard really dont get me wrong they are tight there pressed in there to hold them in place but not as tight like a gudgeon pin

you will be able to get them out just make sure you got some steel self tappers i would not even start without them !!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
right, got the synchro hub off :)

before i dive in and wreck these bearings, can i 100% get them out without removing anything else? once i start there is no turning back and i would rather put up with some grumbling than have to take the box off right now.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I have access to pretty much everything you could ever want. I work in engineering and my dad has tons of tools as he used to be a mechanic.

As you mentioned before, I guess I am best off with self tappers and a slide hammer? I could remove the snap rings that sit round the outside of the bearings and use that groove with a modified puller to get the bearings off.