Everyday EP

Jay

Admin
If you were built one EP, to use everyday without any other back-up vehicles what spec would you want?

Would be good to hear what everyone has learned over the years with hard, bitter experience!

H_D

Member +
i have a 1995 ep82 as a daily it has the following - lowered 40mm, ARC TMIC, BOV, HKS air intake and actuator, running stock boost. never missed a beat or caused me any problems.

On the other hand I have a forged V only really drive it in the summer no issues as yet.

GP82

Member +
My primary aim when I got the EP tuning bug was to build it for everyday street use. When drawing up the plan and selecting the parts to be used there was always that little superficial fella on my shoulder telling me to go into other directions, mainly for more power, but I stuck to my guns and followed my original recipe. I ended up with 250 - 260hp with scope for more and a car that looks stock externally and inside the engine bay, I am able to take it out everyday no matter what the conditions be it rain, snow, I can take it on circuit and also runs 12 sec et's at the drag strip, but the setup is strictly street/ fast road car.

Jay

Admin
I'm going to be unpopular but I'd have to specify her as an auto first and foremost.

That's the first box ticked on the order sheet!

Was considering ticking the ep85 box next?

Rev

Member +
Auto first x2 one reason is this allows more concentrating on driving the car and yet still allows gear changes when desired.
For a bigger turbo as much power as the autobox can take without sacrificing early torque for convertor lockup still trying to find this spec. The ct9b has good torque low down maybe with a higher flowing head and billet ct9b would be a good daily. Currently have a slightly larger turbo which gives the sensation of higher boosting with regular bursts at 18psi being my daily preference. Without another backup vehicle i've been thinking a water intercooler is probably a good idea to keep engine life.

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
Was considering ticking the ep85 box next?

Jay I find with the 3.15 auto diff makes the auto taller already . Some times would like a shorter gear to launch. I notice with 1st. 3.643 ratio at lower speeds this brings the revs up above torque convertor lockup quickly so when changing to second even though revs drop the convertor is still fully locked. I'm not sure the taller gear first would give you that as quickly?

What is the ep85 box attraction?

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
By box I meant the tickbox not the EP85 autobox lol

It's just that all year round I'd probably benefit from the AWD system in general. The autos are nice and heavy over the front wheels which aids traction but I've still had a few moments in the slippy stuff.

Rev

Member +
Ok that makes a lot of sense. TBH I am a bit attached to the lowly power K1 turbo for similar reason as it builds evenly due to heavier compressor wheel which gives a lot of handling confidence when accelerating.

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
I'd rebuild my previous GT.

and move back somewhere that allows an enjoyable daily trek.

Phil

malcolmgt

Member +
Use mine as a daily and my old GT was the same.
similar mods on both, manifold back system. Suspension. BOV.

Ideally would like one running around 200bhp on management of some sort. td04.
nothing major just usable power when a bit of fun is wanted.

5e colin

Member +
tfo35hm at 1 bar for daily driving instant spool and revs the nuts of till the redline

those ct9 hybrids produce more heat then the tfo

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
im runing my auto gt daily for work which is nearly a tank of fuel a week.

Rebuilt tongs hybrid
arc bov
arc top mount
TMD adjustable actuator
apexi intake on stock efi pipe work.
trd springs
5 zigen exhaust so its not too loud.

Great fun to drive, its currently running .8 bar on high bost and just about made 150bhp and doesnt hit fuel cut!
I would like a bit mroe power out of it though, maybe around the 200 mark and see how the box lasts or possibly convert to manual.

I wouldnt fancy an ep85 for a daily Jay tbh, not as good on fuel and the gear ratios are poo.

thefalls

Member +
Well mine is not a daily anymore.
But if i were to get one then it would have the following mods.

Teins coilovers [comfy]
Rear antiroll bar
Jam manifold with CT9 hybrid
Fmic
Proper drone free exhaust
Sound deadening for long drives.
Plug and play Ecu.
Gearbox with lsd
Of course better brakes.

A simple comfortable ride with decent power available when needed.

ryan_v

Lifer
Im just going to describe my dream starlet because you said only one starlet Jay..... Like thats gonna happen lol.

A white ep95, image wise id want it to look like a SR with the all the TTE parts, splitter, spoiler, exhaust and speedlines. Purely because my first car on the road was a white SR.

Interior would have to be full Recaro interior with alot of glanza optional extras, because its the sexiest.

For the engine and ive been through alot of them lol In various turbos and power levels and I think my favourite one was a standard engine on a wepr external wastegate hybrid ct9. The instant boost and pull the whole way through the revs was brilliant! Saying that the exhaust housing is probably in two pieces by now lol. So id pick something with similar characteristic but more reliable, tf035 maybe on a super strong 5e and acis manifold ect. I wouldnt bother with light weight flywheels and knife edge crank either, it just makes it a nightmare to drive.

The brakes would defo need upgraded but most mods ive done over the years actually made no difference for me. The only thing ive noticed that works is good brake pads like ebc red or yellow so id prob just do that on standard discs and run vents to them.

For the handling it would be miesterR and polybush everything except the engine mounts because of the terrible vibration. You cant even look in the rear view mirror for it shaking lol Id also weld in glanza rear strut tops and centre piece to fit the oem 3 point rear strut brace for oem extra sexyness.

PS Jay I have a ep85 il do you a really good deal on so you can tick that final box ;)