Bottom end gone :(

Danfordy1991

Fresh Recruit
Am new to the site and only recently got my Toyota glanza. Brought it off a friend with the bottom end gone. Was just looking for some advice on which is the best route to go down now ? I'm thinking forging it but not sure on what's required. Any ideas guys .?

So far the spec list for the car is

Td04 turbo
330cc injectors
External waste gate
Screamer pipe
Exedy organic clutch
Sard fuel pressure regulator
Hks actuator
Greedy emanage blue Ecu
Hks adjustable boost controller
Civic rad
Fmic

Jay

Admin
Might be worth your while forging the bottom end whilst you are there mate, depends on your planned power output. Forging will allow you to play with the engines compression ratio and run more boost but if you are only looking to run a TD04 at a bar of boost it might not be worth the extra ££ and effort.

It's usually a case of inspecting the damage and working out what is useable and what isn't. Have you had it inspected by an engineer yet?

Danfordy1991

Fresh Recruit
Yeah that's what I was thinking mate. I have already brought a bottom end and had it ported to 74.5mm for the Pistons and notched for the rods. Thought whilst I'm down there I may aswell go all out. I had it looked at by an engineer and had a compression test done and one of the cylinders where running a much lower psi than normal. So I'm guessing that would be a ring failure or something ? Haven't had the engine apart yet. I'm only looking to run around 300/350bhp. Would that be a lot of work ? Like crank re-grind or polished ? And head work ?

Jay

Admin
It's possible that a ring or ringland has failed, those are quite common issues regards compression. If the engineer did a wet compression test afterwards and the result improved it would point to rings. Equally you could have a stuck valve but that's quite rare and doesn't give the same symptoms. If you have gone as far as prepping a fresh block you may as well fire on ahead with a forged build I reckon. At least you will know it's up for a bit of power then!

Speak to your engineer once the engine is apart. So long as the crank is in serviceable or saveable condition it can be reused. As far as the head work goes you can get it ported, polished (minimal gains), fresh seals, and a three angle grind done (again minimal gains) before you look into bigger valves/cams/etc. There's a lot of money spent before you see 'proper' gains on 4E heads going on what I've seen but whilst it's off at least you have the option.

5e colin

Member +
for now to get urselve out of a pickle get a 4efe fit that and some low boost then you could redo ur original block :)