vibration from front of car on acceleration?

dac69er

Super Moderator
my car has always had a slight vibration up the front whenever you accelerate. you can feel it as the torque pulls you and it reduces when the torque drops off.
the issue is worst when the car has only been going for a few miles. after a bit of a run, its not as bad.

i am thinking it could be the inner joints on the driveshafts?

the engine has been rebuilt, i have all new or reconditioned suspension components, new tires, which i have had balanced twice just to be sure. i have also tried a completely different set of wheels.
engine mounts are fine, was the same with standard mounts and polybush. less noticeable with polybush as the car shook so bad anyway!

any other suggestions or ideas in case i have missed the obvious!

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Only had one inner CV joint give hassle myself tbh but that's not to say you could rule it out. Ball joints and track rods are looking good yeah?

dac69er

Super Moderator
when i got the car many years ago the gearbox was knackered and the wheelbearings fell apart. it wasnt good. i replaced the outer joints, at the same time as the bearings, but didnt do anything with the inner ones.

track rod ends were replaced when i did the rebuild a couple of years ago and the car hasnt done many miles since- 5-6k maybe. balljoints all seem good and i have replaced the arb droplinks when i fitted all new dampers. i asked the MOT inspector to double check nothing was slightly iffy and he didnt find anything, other than a rear wheel bearing, which i have replaced.

its only slight, so hard to explain, but its not right and i have been going through the car trying to sort every niggly little thing and this is one of the few bits left to iron out.

Jay

Admin
Might be a bugger to trace.. especially if it's only under load. Would be worth getting a pry bar and going round the bushes yourself just for your own piece of mind.

dac69er

Super Moderator
its not when under full load, just lighter load. for example, overtaking on a dual carraigeway where you just put your foot down a bit to bring on the boost to overtake. if you floor it, you get a slight vibration as the boost is coming in and then it just pulls and it is smooth. if you drive normally with very little boost, then it is smooth.

i will have a go at checking the bushes, but i was under the car when he was checking them and im pretty happy with what he found. its always done it for years and never got any better or worse.

Rev

Member +
Have experieced similar at cruising when one rear tyre was down this created a rocking of the car front to back this seasaw had some shaft or other taking up its slack and causing a vibration. You mention the situation is different when first starting so I wonder if this 'shaft' quietens when more oil reaches it?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
got both shafts out tonight.

inner joints seem a bit knocky. one outer joint feels a bit crap. one lower balljoint sheared a bolt on removal and the other has a split gaiter, but no play in it.

will rebuild both driveshafts and stick new lower balljoints in and see how it goes,

Jay

Admin
Just a bit of upkeep after all these years, I'm scared to look under mine tbh. Hopefully that sorts it for you.

dac69er

Super Moderator
all came apart nice and easily. just need to wait for the new parts to arrive next week and then re-assemble.

will let you know if it helps

Guye

Lifer
I will check this space for your findings. Out of the blue I have started experiencing something similar but my vibration seems to be on the front right corner. Bottom arm, ball joint etc. are all new. I guess I should take the time to put in on a ramp and give it a careful inspection.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have everything other than the outer cv joints. once they arrive i can re-assemble the driveshafts.

will let you know how i get on. hopefully it will sort it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
All done, nice and silky smooth now

The inner joints had obvious wear, I could also feel play in them. one side had got moisture in as it had a bit of internal corrosion.

Should do me for another few years now