HKS F-Con Pro Gold - Error 24 - TPS Signal

davehart

Member +
Any HKS experts still around?

I have a an error code on my F-Con Gold unit.

24 = TPS Signal Error

I want to see if its the sensor or wiring thats causing this problem. I've checked the connector and there is power going to the connector.

I have the guide on how to set the TPS up but would the error on the ECU read that it is not getting a signal at all?

Would you say its the wiring or the sensor thats at fault?

Rev

Member +
Not sure if this helps much but looking at this site which isn't exactly Starlet https://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/hardware/f-con-v-pro-gold In the bug section it says their can be firmware issues with the earlier versions which you seem to have by the error code 24.

It also makes a point Engines fitted with e-throttle may require accelerator pedal signal to be connected to HKS ECU (v3.24+ firmware), pin 23 or pin 24, to retain idle condition (idle ignition table when cold/warm), decel fuel cut, and idle stability where e-throttle controls idle RPM. Maybe if this mode is engaged it would be looking for the signal ? I notice with my safc there is no signal for throttle position with the Starlet manual tps .

It also says idle is firmware dependent so I am wondering if the sensor firmware may be at issue?

davehart

Member +
Thats possible.

Its the blue dot which is version 3.1 that I have.

I have no way of hooking anything up to the ECU to have a look at the software and dont have the power writer sofware or cable to hook up to it. I dont know if these error signal has been on the ECU for some time but with the throttle response it does point to a problem with it. I know the GT TPS is juts a on / off switch so you dont have the steady voltage increase as the plate is opened.

Rev

Member +
Maybe someone can lend you the software getting idle right is going to be much easier that way there are a lot of idle corrections to consider. If you like to gamble you could try a cheap variable resistor on the ecu connection as a fake a variable tps if that works an auto tps may be a way forward.

davehart

Member +
The software is out there........not got any contacts to ask about it though. I'll replace the TPS with a spare one.

I have found that there is no or very little firing on plug number one. Checked the injectors and swopped them over, no difference. Compression is the same as the other 4. Just need to whip out the lead and spark plug and check its being fired. If it is.......I dont know what to check next as its got the three things it needs.

Rev

Member +
If the spark plug is ok would still check that cylinder distributor contact is ok but weak sparking does point to the leads being gone or shorting somewhere. Good luck.

davehart

Member +
Found the running issue, a non firing NGK plug. Only 10 miles or so old to. Ordered a new set so I'll chuck them in.

Still, the error 24 on the HKS remains. I've been looking at a different ECU to replace the F-Con. The new Link Kurofone which has been designed to use with Japanese ECU's so it will use the harness for the HKS unit.

Rev

Member +
I don't see a Starlet harness in the harness list from one ecu link ?
I have the old pfc fcon harness I wish that would work as this seems a comprehensive setup and fitting a standard harness is a big advantage.

davehart

Member +
The new Link one are designed for HKS harness so it should be a plug out and plug in job.

Still puzzled by this error 24 code on the HKS though.

Rev

Member +
Last edited:

davehart

Member +
I'll take a look at that. I had wondered if the error was because the HKS needs a variable signal but I would have thought when it was originally installed that issue would have been looked at.

That link is working for me not being signed in :)