Hello from Canada - Newly running EP82 4E-FTE here

AlbertaBeef

Member +
Hello everyone!

Even though I joined the site quite some time ago (with good intentions to do this EP82 4E-FTE swap into my car) I've not taken the time to post in the welcome section.

I'm the proud owner of a very clean 1991 Toyota Tercel DX (purchased back in 2006) that has an EP82 4E-FTE M/T swap that we're working on finishing.

The car started out as a pale-green sun-faded (but completely rust-free) US unit from the moisture-barren state of Nevada:
when_purchased_side.jpg

I absolutely love the 'Speedway Blue' paint on older Tacoma trucks, paint code 8p1 ... so I had it painted in that colour, with colour-matching trim, etc. Here's how that went:
new_paint_job.jpg

Then added some 15" alloy wheels and Toyo Proxes 4 tires:
added_rims2.jpg

I drove it like this a couple years, then started the 4E-FTE swap quite some time ago (nearly 10 years now) - but due to a spinal injury had to leave it for a LONG time, until I got somewhat recuperated and my son started helping me finish it this year.

Current state: As of this Thursday (ie: 2 days ago) I got it started and running for the first time... :rockon:
It's running VERY, VERY rich though. :eek:

After considerable investigation into the problem, I believe I've determined the AFR problem is likely being caused by my MAP sensor. I didn't get the 4E-FTE map sensor with the engine and so the harness was plugged into the 3E-E (NA engine) MAP. Which was never meant to detect boost... As such the ECU is sending much more fuel (likely double the necessary amount) with the voltage readings from a normally-aspirated MAP vs the proper 4E-FTE MAP.

I've found two sources - one in Canada and the other in the U.S.A ... so I should be able to acquire one sometime this coming week and see how things go.

I'll be putting up some pics and info in the members garage, and I'm hoping the good members here - being much more familiar with EP82 4E-FTE's than myself - can assist me when I have questions or problems!

I look forward to getting to know some of you, even virtually!

Glen aka AlbertaBeef

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Hi Glen,

Great to see you picking up some momentum with the plans buddy!

Not 100% sure the MAP sensor will have a big effect at idle, the mixture at diel and light cruise isn't vastly different between the turbo and NA models but I could be wrong. Let us know if the sensor sorts it, hopefully it's as easy as that.

If you need any assistance just shout dude,

Jay

AlbertaBeef

Member +
Well, I've also got some crap wiring on my water/coolant temp. sensor. I'm going to replace that wiring tomorrow just in case that's also the issue. If it's not recognizing that it's warm, it'll definitely be running rich...

I'm not sure if you can see just how shot these wires are, but they're small, brittle and barely hanging on that sensor.

Brittle_Coolant_Temp_Sensor_Wires.jpg

Jay

Admin
That's your coolant temp sensor (the green plug) it's the one that tells your ECU how hot the engine is. A bad signal from this can cause poor starting and running as the ECU is not fuelling correctly. It's actually a common issue on the 4EFTE as the distributor seal can leak oil onto that plug and then the wiring gets brittle.

Could be your issue Glen.

AlbertaBeef

Member +
I just wanted to say "Thank You!" to everyone who chimed in, for those who wished me a warm welcome, and to all the various DIY's, how-to's, forum posts, etc. that helped me to get this all going!

I've now got the car running, and it's going great! Yes, I ended up changing the MAP as well as re-doing all the wiring on the coolant temp. sensor.

Dirty (but it's all working) engine bay:
19176549.jpg

We'll be cleaning that up as we slowly upgrade more and more.

Outside view:
19176548.jpg

I really do love the Toyota blue ... Paint code 8P1

Momo Race Sweetness:
19176550.jpg

The carbon-fiber-look shift knob adds a nice touch, and those blue-flame floor mats from the Dollar Store probably add 10HP. :)

It even has working A/C which is incredibly rare for any Tercel in Canada:
19176551.jpg

New, old-stock Pioneer Premier car stereo and some Pioneer 6.5" in the back make it sound a little better than stock. Not a lot, but every bit helps.

Reactions: Jay