mk1 auto dials issue

thomllee1981

Member +
im attempting to get my mk1 back on the road.

when it was last driven all the dials and gauges were working.

i have had the engine started and i had the car moving but the speedo and rev gauge now no longer seem to work.

any thoughts?

dac69er

Super Moderator
had you done any work on the car between taking it off the road and putting it back on the road?

i assume the auto has an electronic rpm pickup and a cable speedo like the manual versions? if so, it is very strange that both have stopped working as a mechanical speedo doesnt need power to work!

Jay

Admin
Good to hear it buddy, would be nice to have another back up and rolling again.

As Duncan says, the speedo is mechanical and the tacho is electrical so for both to stop it could be coincidental. Check the speedo cable is connected at both ends and is turning as it should. I've seen a few rev counters die in the past, the flexible circuit board on the back can corrode and break connection. Might be worth removing the clocks entirely and inspecting it. Components can be swapped out from the clusters if there is a problem.

Cheers,

Jay

thomllee1981

Member +
thanks guys will check this out tomorrow.

hoping its something simple costs are mounting up faster than i can really afford.

thomllee1981

Member +
well it appears the speedo cable still works so most be a a problem somewhere.

all fuses are working so no idea on my rev gauge.
where do i find the pick up for the rpms?

any other clues???

Jay

Admin
Can you see both ends of the cable turning inside? If not it's a cable issue.

The RPM is lifted from the ignition system, not entirely sure where from but I'll have a look.

thomllee1981

Member +
was lazy Jay took the end off stuck it in a drill and had someone watch for the needle moving!

pretty sure it was working.

could be the mph converter

im sure u remember the step cog little add in box things no one is making any more.

can i only swap auto box out of a mk1 with another mk1?

and how do i do a rev gauge change as mk1 dial clusters are rocking horse shit to find.

Jay

Admin
I'd remove the convertor from it to eliminate it. Would be a lot cheaper than finding a cluster - can't even find them on the auctions at the minute.