Standard Manifold Porting with pictures and explaination

Nickzorz

Member +
No the exhaust runners should be bigger than the ports to reduce back pulsing, this is where the gases hit the face of the head insead of making it's way back to the valve.

So if you port them (on the manifold) are they still smaller? than on the block

lukep

Member +
No there slightly bigger to start with, and you will find it's like that on any car be it turbo or n/a.

I think I see where your going with this.... The restriction is further down the runner the collector is also restrictive as toyota didnt bother removing any of the cast where the molds joined

Last edited:

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yes you can port all the runners to make them bigger by quite a bit, Toyota went overkill on the standard mani, prob to eliminate any chance of cracking but I've ported the shit out of my mani and nearly 2 years on its still going as strong as ever even running 1bar on a rev 3 Gt spec hybrid.

My standard mani has a few inches crack on it near the 3rd cylinder, the crack is absolutely massive, the crack occurred on a 98 Glanza with 62K Miles on the Clock - so they're not as good as you might think - at least on my car!

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
My standard mani has a few inches crack on it near the 3rd cylinder, the crack is absolutely massive, the crack occurred on a 98 Glanza with 62K Miles on the Clock - so they're not as good as you might think - at least on my car!

62k? My stainless one cracked in about 1k miles max, so to me the cast one done rightly to last 62 times longer than a stainless one.

Member +
but thats the problem! ya cant port all the runners trough to make them all bigger
with the right tools you can

aftermarket atw, made a way bigger diference all round compared to my well ported one
wasnt ported as well as you think it was then

62k? My stainless one cracked in about 1k miles max, so to me the cast one done rightly to last 62 times longer than a stainless one.
what he said, its laughable that people are prepared to spend so much on an aftermarket mani which has a much shorter lifespan and often which are poorly made

Paul_JJ

Member +
with the right tools you can

wasnt ported as well as you think it was then

what he said, its laughable that people are prepared to spend so much on an aftermarket mani which has a much shorter lifespan and often which are poorly made

So you're saying that a Zisco Mild Steel will be worse than a Standard Mani? Stainless Steel Does crack pretty often indeed - because of the vibration! Mild Steel however would be much better than the stainless - in my opinion.

Member +
So you're saying that a Zisco Mild Steel will be worse than a Standard Mani?

i didnt say that, please read the post again. i said "aftermarket mani's have a much shorter lifespan and often they are poorly made"

mild steel or satinless, neither of them seem to be as durable as cast

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Well if it's cracked with 1K max - then ask for a Full Refund and get another manifold!

I did, and got a ported mani and on 6 runs on the same dyno as when I had the s/s, it made on average in and around the same power and torque... so to me, stainless are no better than a ported mani... but can cost 4 times more than a ported mani. Take for example, the compact ct9 manis on uksc... over £300, crazy money for no or little gains over a ported mani. Would rather put that £300+ towards a nice ECU or the likes

I'm not saying no one should buy aftermarket mani, I'm just saying I personally don't think that justify themselves for their price.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I did, and got a ported mani and on 6 runs on the same dyno as when I had the s/s, it made on average in and around the same power and torque... so to me, stainless are no better than a ported mani... but can cost 4 times more than a ported mani. Take for example, the compact ct9 manis on uksc... over £300, crazy money for no or little gains over a ported mani. Would rather put that £300+ towards a nice ECU or the likes

I'm not saying no one should buy aftermarket mani, I'm just saying I personally don't think that justify themselves for their price.

OK. Have you tried comparing on a dyno a standard one to Zisco for example?

Member +
OK. Have you tried comparing on a dyno a standard one to Zisco for example?

one of the fela's who had one of the ones i ported did. ported mani was -3 bhp and +8lb/ft in comparison. if the member in question or any of the other fella's running my mani's would like to comment please feel free.

stuarty1

Member +
must say eds manis are a great job had one done before clears the restriction on runner 2 and 3 and done smooth as not all rippled like a fat girls belly best example i could think of

Paul_JJ

Member +
So guy's what's the verdict then? standard ported mani or aftermarket mani.

It's always your choice mate!

If you want it cheap - then no question go for a ported standard mani and make sure you put brand new toyota gaskets when replacing the mani!
If you want the mani to look good and add extra to your mod list, and possibly a few extra BHP then I would go for a Zisco or a WEPR mild steel manifold - but that would cost you some money!

akyakapotter

Member +
Porting standard mani

Hi all just a quick one dose anybody have a guide on doing this and what cutter to by as I don't wanna take to much off thanks in advance nick