can this be removed?

monka

Member +
Image067.jpg

little black box that is linked to this

Image066d.jpg

the thing next to the fuel filter,

whats it do, the little black box has a drain underneath so can i just run a hose to some where that is protected?

kieran.s gt

Member +
thats the charcoal canister it stops fuel vapours from being vented to the atomosphere
you can remove but you get a smell of fuel alot

dac69er

Super Moderator
the black box can be removed. like kieran said, but you will smell the fuel venting from the tank

Timmy

Member +
It is illeagle to remove it tho, and isn;t there a chance of fuel getting on the road if you do.

monka

Member +
how exactly does this thing work then? as the round canister has a pipe from the tank on the top, pipe underneath that goes to the box which seems to vent to air, there is also a little vacuum pipe,

can you not just have the pipe from the tank exiting at the back of the car for the vapours?

Timmy

Member +
how is it illegal? my mums citreon ax was just vented to atmosphere by a pipe that exits near the rear of the car somewhere.

Pretty sure it comes under illeagle dumping of hydrocarbons. It's probably illeagle to remove if it came on a car standard or something.

GlanzaV.Tee

Member +
illegal ask your local mot for advise as they would need to pass it when u do have one and if theres excessive petrol smell they will tell you to go home :) personally leave it on and for safety as no1 has a death wish now do they. be safe stay legallish lolz

monka

Member +
tidy up the engine bay a bit, bit of extra weight, and if there is no point having it, why have it there? lol

also the sensor for it i have has broken off its mount, and rather than get a new one, removing it is easier, nout wrong with a clean neat looking engine bay,.

Fishy89GT

Banned
weight saving? just go for a massive shit before you drive.. that will make more of a difference than removing the charcoal canistor..

its dangerous to remove it as you just be venting fuel fumes into the atmosphere.. if its not needed toyota wouldnt have put it in!

Matchew

Member +
weight saving? just go for a massive shit before you drive.. that will make more of a difference than removing the charcoal canistor..

its dangerous to remove it as you just be venting fuel fumes into the atmosphere.. if its not needed toyota wouldnt have put it in!

Lol classic

X2 i wouldnt remove it for safety reasons

monka

Member +
yeah fumes which when you are driving are going to be behind you, will be routing a pipe to out of the engine bay so it cant get in the cabin or engine bay.

Fishy89GT

Banned
seriously mate just leave it in, it hardly worth taking it out.. routing a pipe etc etc, just leave it in..

i do alot of weight saving and i can tell you now my priorities re saving weight do not come in the form of removing this and neither should yours :)

if your serious about saving weight start off making it like this

IMG_0899-01.jpg

(p.s unfished pic but you get the idea)

Last edited:

monka

Member +
why not though? if its routed to somewhere out of danger, what can it cause?

the early gt's dont even have them