Quaife VS OEM + C52 vs C56..

Idrees

Banned
Hey guys,

My GT has a C52 box with the Quaife LSD, and the clutch is 'dragging' so I've just ordered a new Cap paddle clutch. Thing is, it crunches in to third as well even though it's only been rebuilt a few years back, and I'm pretty sure it's the syncro and not the clutch drag causing this. I don't really have the time to get the 3rd syncro replaced, and I have a spare Glanza C56 LSD gearbox with driveshafts so I'm tempted to use that and sell this one.

Another thing is that the Quaife seems a bit extreme for road use, it is awesome don't get me wrong, the traction and handling is fucking nuts. But I use my car daily, and a lot, and it does seem to be all over the road when boosting it. It's quite hard to control. My cousin has OEM LSD and his doesn't do this. (I've had all wheel geometry set up properly etc.)

So my questions are:

1) Will I notice a big difference in 3rd/4th gear if I used the C56 box? I'm using a TD04 and usually change gear at about 6500 rpm when boosting. I believe the C52 has longer ratios, so will the C56 be a downgrade?

2) Will the Glanza shafts (1996) fit in to the 93 EP82 hubs?

3) Would I notice a decrease traction wise if I were to use the OEM?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Spoonz

Member +
my 300bhp one had a standard lsd box and it was fine coped well and handled very good i wouldnt have changedit for a aftermarket one has they are like u said to harsh for the road.

i asked the same questions about the box and was told i wouldnt even notice.

and all shafts will be fine ive just put 82shaft into my 91 :)

madman

Member +
i drove a TD 04 glanza with a OEM lsd and it was way smoother than my cusco one didnt pull all over the road but im not complaining about the cusco one its just the OEM one isn't as clunky

Sparky

Member +
Mine can be a nightmare (Cusco) but I can live with it :)

Heard a Glanza box is a decent upgrade for a GT though as it has the shorter ratios plus it has the OEM LSD so it should be a bit easier to drive if thats what you want :)

Rory

Lifer
I personally would not be selling the Quaiffe unit.
I find the Quiaffe fine day to day use, but i dont go bosting it everywhere.. You will get used to it over time ;) Remember you have only just bought the thing.

You wont notice that much diffirence between the boxes, everything will bolt up, just make sure the spline count is the same on the CV.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i would stiock to the quaife... i have an oem lsd and its perfect for everyday and some fun...

but a quaife will always be a quaife

Idrees

Banned
Rory I don't boost everywhere anymore :p

On a straight road, 3rd gear going up to about 100mph or whatever, you can feel the car going side to side!

Sparky

Member +
lol ^^

Same as mine, my mate had a go of mine the otherday and was all over the lane in 3rd gear :p

Thats just standard ct9 bet yours is savage

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
1) Will I notice a big difference in 3rd/4th gear if I used the C56 box? I'm using a TD04 and usually change gear at about 6500 rpm when boosting. I believe the C52 has longer ratios, so will the C56 be a downgrade?

The 3rd and 4th gears of a C56 are slightly shorter, so there should be some difference. It mainly helps with greater acceleration on top gears, but the TD04 is not like a CT9, once it comes on boost it pulls to the rev limiter like hell so I wouldn't say there would be any noticeable difference.

2) Will the Glanza shafts (1996) fit in to the 93 EP82 hubs?

As long as you use the OEM LSD shafts with the gearbox, yes they'll fit.

3) Would I notice a decrease traction wise if I were to use the OEM?

If the OEM viscous LSD hasnt seen too much mileage (over 150k miles) then it will be just fine on the roads, as you say, it might be even better than the Quaife. Its down to driving preference too.

weakboy2

Member +
Idrees, Keep the quaife buddy. Seriously.

You will get used to the funny pulling around the place, i can drive with one hand on the steering wheel quite well now even when booting it at 1.4bar, You think its bad with 211bhp you should try 250+ :p Its interesting lol!

I love the way it pulls you into the corner when steering into one with the power on, as soon as boost comes in it tries to turn the corner for you, which i like.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I didn't really like the Quaife at the start, but now I have got used to it, I find it a seriously good piece of kit. I don't have to fight with the wheel anymore, dunno I guess I grew poppeye arms or something.

nexia201

Member +
Rory I don't boost everywhere anymore :p

On a straight road, 3rd gear going up to about 100mph or whatever, you can feel the car going side to side!

:slap: shouldn't be doing 100mph on the road should you :slap: you naughty guy or you might be :holdit: and :shoot: with a big fine :rockon:

Idrees

Banned
:slap: shouldn't be doing 100mph on the road should you :slap: you naughty guy or you might be :holdit: and :shoot: with a big fine :rockon:
Its country roads, very quiet ones, so chill out.

Tough choice, I need to find someone who could replace the syncro cheap and fast in order to keep this box with the Quaife. I am used to it, never feel like I'm gonna lose the car, but that doesn't mean to say it feels entirely safe! And yes coming out of bends etc with this diff is awesome, but I don't think the OEM would feel much different on the bendy roads. The Glanza box has done only 89k kms so it should be all good.

wheeler

Member +
I reccommend you keep the Quaife as well. I have one in my tranny and LOVE it. I'm tossing down 245whp and yes you are right that when under full boost it does get a little squirly, but I like to call it FUN!

Quaife is TOP of the line and in my opinion the BEST lsd you will ever own!

It's not hard to rip the tranny out and drop it off to get the syncros done. While it's apart get them all replaced for peace of mind. Then you'll be good to go for a few years!!!

starlet666

Member +
hey guys sorry to dig up a few month old thread but im in aus and looking at buying a quaife lsd in a gt box....

what sorta milage can they get b4 anything needs to b done the the diff or do they pretty much not wearout anything like a clutch style lsd?

and how bad is the swirlyness of the diff when u first drive one??

and how much do u expect to pay for one of these gt boxes with a quaife in it??

cheers timmy

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
can help you on a few questions, The lsd can last up to quite a long time depends if you keep doing oil changes with good oil, The Quaife LSD is stated to use ONLY 75w-90

with the diff in the box you could pay upto £500-600 range