Mixing methanol with petrol. help

DanzaEP91

Physically impossible to have a significant improvement in octane over SIX tankfuls out of one bottle, irrespective of what's in it. Lots of marketing wordplay in that description, I'd like to see some hard numbers like octane point increase when diluted in 30 litres of 95 octane. IMO you're always going to be better off mixing your own from a known quantity, who knows what's in this stuff...

http://wrxatl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4874

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/75371-nf-octane-booster.html

-Harry-

Member +
Why meth? Its disadvantages outweigh its advantages when mixing with fuel imo. Unless your just running solely on meth, its a bit of a pain in the ass. As already stated you need to run more of it to make the same bang. It absorbs water extremly quickly turning it into a goo like substance so you must flush your fuel system out after use not just your engine for corrosion purposes but also to clear your injectors and mainly the fuel filter which i guarentee will clog in no time. Many cars that run meth run a specific filter or no filter at all. Water absorbstion can also lower octane which means you could get detonation and loose an engine.

E85 is a great option but your map will require 40% more fuel to make the same bang. This opften requires bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and ecu management which all = $. However the rewards are there for the taking. A starlet member here recently did back to back tests with c16 vrs e85 pump fuel. Both made identical power (approx 290whp) but the e85 gave another 65hp of midrange power due to more ign advace being able to be added. E85 also absorbs water if left but at a lower rate. People here reccommend a fresh tank every 2 weeks at least, which isnt difficult becuase your using 40% more fuel.

toluene 20%

This guy has the right idea. It is just industrial paint thinner. If your just after an octane boost then this is what your chasing. 10% will give a great safety buffer or you can add timing. Or you can go 20% and wind even more timing into it, all without changing your fuel map. I run a bit when racing as a safety buffer. Tune for pump fuel then it gives you piece of mind if things like intake temp ect changes. Its also dirt cheap and readily available from any paint supplier in bulk.

The down side however is that its not kind to rubber. Contact causes rubber to harden and eventually crack. This means your fuel pump, lines and even injectors and regulator. Meth will do this also. All the people I know running it havnt had any troubles yet though.

If your trying to chose a better fuel for race/street then e85 is the way to go as long as you have supporting mods. If your just after an octane boost then you can run tolulene or just continue buyin octane booster

Cheers

Harry

Last edited:

fastglanza

Member +
wow surprised with the e85 and c16 results..dont have any experience with the e85 but it sounds good caz c16 can take abuse timing wise

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Whats the cost differences between E85 and C16?

I wouldn't trust the E85 over here with all the illegal fuel fraud that goes on. Would much rather buy C16 from a tuning company.

-Harry-

Member +
Whats the cost differences between E85 and C16?

I wouldn't trust the E85 over here with all the illegal fuel fraud that goes on. Would much rather buy C16 from a tuning company.

E85 is only a pump fuel in other states here so I can only get it off the shelf for $A2 a litre. I have a lot more faith just in buying it this way direct from BP than from a pump. C16 is A$9 per litre, requires a license to buy and is also leaded which requires the removal of the catalitic converter.

Id go the toluene.

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
Old thread alert !

Any got any bioethanol bulk links in Northern Ireland ?

Tempted to try some alternative fuels in the gt

Phil

Phil

Super Moderator
give chris a link to a place in newry lawd ;)

Aye he was saying, cheers

not sure if they can make it affordable though :(

will try them for pricing. Pity methanol is so cheap compared to ethanol!!

PS you still making manifolds etc etc? got a fella looking some stuff made if your interested.

Phil

MR FAB

Fresh Recruit
im sill doing stuff phil yes just doing a custom jobby on a lads car at the minute
Capture.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
aye looking good mr fab.

would you not sell stuff on here?

traders accounts arent dear or anything.

be good to have someone local onboard.

Phil