MOT Query - Suspension

stuart

Member +
Hi guys,

Past 3 years I have taken my starlet to same MOT garage, they have failed me previously on stuff such as handbrake cables (as they are shit with startlets) and over past 2 years the noise levels, which I fix with a baffle.

I've come back from MOT today and on my advisory notice I have in capital letters

NON MANUFACTURES SUSPENSION FITTED GIVING VERY LOW RIDE HEIGHT *** DANGEROUS ***

I've not changed my mono-flex's since they were on the car (past 3 years) and this hasn't been mentioned before, but that advisory will now be on record? Is there anyway I can get it off? My cars low, but not take the piss low like some dubs and that. He also said its far too hard but he hasn't put it down on the advisory notice..

Rumel786

Member +
Stu when i got my car M.O.T done just before i broke they did not mention anything about my car being so low, they had to even roll my car on planks of wood just so they can jack it up!

Im not sure if its anything new but if its just an advisory maybe its nothing to worry about?

Il have a word with my mate who does m.o.t's and il see if he mentions anything about anything new popping up with cars being too low.

stuart

Member +
Its flagged as dangerous though and will be on the system now :(
I've had no problems before like!

is it the same tester though? As could be a new one at the same garage.

Although don't think you can get it off the system although I don't know how they upload it to the system, is it instant or do they have to do it daily themselves.

Sigma

Member +
Its flagged as dangerous though and will be on the system now :(
I've had no problems before like!

It's just a manual advisory, and it being saved means nothing dude.

Old boy's an MOT tester, and his exact words were

"Yeah, we have to enter it, but it means jack shit"

:)

GTti

Member +
Well an advisory is just that, it doesn't stop it passing the MOT.

When I MOT'd my race car for Japfest it had a whole page full of them, including very stiff suspension, low suspension, loud exhaust, etc...

GTWorld

Member +
Well an advisory is just that, it doesn't stop it passing the MOT.

When I MOT'd my race car for Japfest it had a whole page full of them, including very stiff suspension, low suspension, loud exhaust, etc...

That would be interesting to see can you scan a copy?

GTti

Member +
Sure I'll see if I can dig it out. Car doesn't even main headlights now so it's road days are long gone.

GTti

Member +
That would be interesting to see can you scan a copy?

Initially they failed it and included these:

Ehxuast system noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition [7.1.2b]

Nearside front shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

Offside front shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

Nearside rear shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

Offside rear shock absorber has negligible damping effect [2.7.5]

They they passed it and reluctantly put them as advisorys, but the owner off the MOT station was impressed and offered me a job. Also let me fix the oil leak on the ramps.

Advisory

Oil leaks

N/S seat and rear seats and fixings missing

Suspension stiff

Exhaust noisey

Suspension lowered and hard