Problems with new stock pistons

Mike D EP82

Member +
ok so iv ordered a new piston for no.4 and have been sent 3 as there is a choice. iv measured all 3 using digital vernier calipers and all are 74mm as youd expect and theyre all visually the same aswell apart from the no stamped on the top of the crown but none of the pistons match the numbers that are on the original piston fitted? And so far toyota hq are giving my dealer about as much info as dog shit as ro the difference between them. if anyone has the info i need please let me know. the only difference in the part no is the end no is either 1,2 or 3. thanks

Mike D EP82

Member +
how do you mean mate, as in fit all 3 or use the one with part no 3 at the end?. i dont have the money to fit 3 pistons due to the time of the year etc. im crippling that im having to do this in the 1st place lol

Mike D EP82

Member +
so what is the difference between the 3 then as they all measure up the same and look identicle apart from the no on top?

BallıGee

Member +
piston diameter

mark"1" 73.900-73.910
mark"2" 73.910-73.920
mark"2" 73.920-73.930

hopes this helps in your choice

p.s piston oil clearance STD 0.09-0.11mm max 0.13mm

350ep70gr

Member +
From my point of view this job requires complete sets.You cant fix one cylinder and leave the other as it is. When change pistons change all 4 of them,when bearings then all of them,when rings then all of them ..and so on!
Chris

Mike D EP82

Member +
there nothing wrong with the other pistons at all. theyre all nice and clean again and have a new set of rings on all. and iv fitted piston 3 to the old conrod as again theres nothing wrong with that either. my car only boasts 180bhp so im not going all out forged as its too much money for me and alll the hasstle iv had with cars recently iv just lost interest all together, all i want to do is drive it. ite een in the garage more than the road since iv had it

finx

Member +
vernier calipers are not the tool you should be using to measure part sizes and clearances. you need to use a set of micrometers to get accurate measurements.

the differences in the pistons as has been said above by the other guys is only in size, nothing else. and are as follows

Mark 1 --- 73.89~73.90mm
Mark 2 --- 73.90~73.91mm
Mark 3 --- 73.91~73.92mm

as chris has said, if replacing one pistons you really should be doing the whole lot.
just out of curiosity did you get the piston changed over by a engine re builder or engineer? it is not a task that should be attempted yourself for many reasons. main two are that its extreemly easy to damage the piston and that the rods need to be correctly aligned with the piston on re assembly.

ryan